• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Frayed Cable Ends - What to wrap them with?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoomzoooie

I am in the process of rebuilding/modifying a project. I stripped the covering off the wings and found the ends of the cross bracing cables were not heat shrinked and are fraying.
I have been trying to find a solution to cover/wrap them. Heat shrink tubing is no longer an option since it would have to be too large of a diameter to fit over the cable ends which would also have to be disconnected and will not shrink enough. Black electrical tape would be ideal, but will fall apart in cold weather. I looked at heat shrink tapes, but these seam to be too thick and difficult to work with. 3M all weather Scotchrap 50 looks promising, but is very expensive for the amount I would need.

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to cover/wrap the frayed cable ends?

Back