• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Francis Donaldson's thoughts on Evans Volksplane VP-2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
We've had lots of Volksplane discussions over the years including detailed comments by FritzW on how to lighten and improve a VP-2 here -- Enclosing an Evans Volksplane VP-2 -- and later in the same thread.

Recently I wrote to the LAA (British EAA) where I am also a member, asking about a type sheet or any required modifications to the VP-2 as the design is still on their approved homebuilt list as "063 EVANS VP-2, VP-2 (MODIFIED) Group A." I got this nice reply back from LAA Chief Engineer Francis Donaldson and his permission to share his thoughts here. I thought it would be good idea to record them in this forum for future reference.

Dear Matthew

We don’t have a data sheet for the VP2 because there are none being built in the UK at the moment.

It was not as successful a design as the VP-1, as most in the UK turned out either too underpowered or too heavy to be effective or ‘legal’ as a two seater, and if flown one up they don’t fly as nicely as the VP-1 – even more sluggish ailerons, in particular, and they need the much more expensive big-bore VW engines to perform whereas the single seater goes OK with a 1500 or 1600.

I write this as one who used to own a VP-2 and carried out a lot of flying on it, with an 1834 engine, I’ve also flown several other VP-2s as well as owning a VP-1 and flying that extensively, and other VP-1s too, so am in a good position to give a fair summary. In the UK, there are quite a few VP-2s layed up unused and unloved even though in good condition.

It seems as though the VP concept worked with the single seater but the two seater was very much compromised. The particular feature which causes poor aileron response (part from the very crude aileron design) is the lack of wing torsional stiffness which makes the wing flex when the ailerons are deflected, opposing the aileron action. It would benefit from the wing torsion boxes being extended in span, and shorter chord, longer span ailerons but that would all add more weight still.

The LAA does not require any mods to the VP-2 over and above the updates issued by Bud Evans, which come with the plans.

The design does have the ability to give a unique flying experience to a light passenger if left as open cockpit - my wife-to-be and I had a lot of fun with ours but she only weighed 55 Kg and I only weighed 77 Kg back then. The extreme exposure of the open cockpit makes it like flying a pioneering aeroplane of the Edwardian era, and one feels companionship with Louis Bleriot etc. All this is lost if you put an enclosed cockpit on it, which adds more weight and you end up with a very mediocre single seater much worse than a Jodel D9, say.

Kind regards,

Francis Donaldson

All this suggests to me (as others have said before) that "simplicate and add more lightness" should be the motto of a VP-2 build with the possible exception of some aileron torsion boxes to improve roll response. Oratex fabric, lightweight wheels and tires, and that little Verner 5VW or maybe a Suzuki G10 conversion are sounding better and better. ;-)

Back