Forward Tilting Canopy Hinges

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

foolonthehill

Arion Lightnings have a very simple forward tilting canopy arrangement. Two flat aluminum brackets between a couple of pieces of angle aluminum, and a couple of gas struts. I don't think Pulsar's are available anymore, Arion parts are, but its the idea that it is simple to duplicate at home that makes it of interest.

Yellowhammer

Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
Arion Lightnings have a very simple forward tilting canopy arrangement. Two flat aluminum brackets between a couple of pieces of angle aluminum, and a couple of gas struts. I don't think Pulsar's are available anymore, Arion parts are, but its the idea that it is simple to duplicate at home that makes it of interest.

Thanks Hill Top Fool! I will check them out right now sir.

Yellowhammer!

Yellowhammer

Here's a PDF from the Arion builder's guide on exactly how those hinges and the rest go together. I agree that it looks very easy to duplicate.

View attachment 106382

Thank you sir! Your are a gentleman!

This is EXACTLY the type of configuration that I have been searching for. Simple, light weight, and functional. I think this will be the perfect solution for my needs. With the very limited space the Pulsar has, I think this is the best path for me to take.

I really appreciate it more than I can put into words.

Thank you,

Yellowhammer

Vigilant1

At Va and a max G pull, I wonder how much lifting force these canopies experience? It appears that it could be a lot. If we envision our upsloping canopy nose as the LE of an airfoil, then lift pressures of about 2 PSI might be expected at high AoA's if the local airspeed there is 150 MPH (the canopy is right behind the prop where flow may be considerably faster than the aircraft airspeed). Math is here. If our canopy is 39" wide and this pressure exists over the front 12" of it, the lift force on the hinges from just that area will be about 940 lbs. There will be more force, too , from the aftward portion of the canopy. Throw in some buffeting and it will be very important to have some sturdy hinges that will resist bending and racking and keep the LE of the canopy firmly held down. But, if a particular approach has worked in practice in a sitution like your envisioned application, that's worth more than theory, or even equations.

Yellowhammer

The more and more I look at the canopy on Langford's plane, it looks nearly identical to the canopy that came with the Pulsar kits. The shape is spot on. Even how it sort of flattens out in the front where the pilots point of forward view takes place.

I wish I knew he mode the canopies for the Pulsar Aircraft Series!

Thank you for your help sir.

Yellowhammer