• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Forming Plexiglas / acrylic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJC

Supporting Member
I need to form a compound curve in small piece of acrylic to make a flush landing light lens in the cowling. The circular lens is about 1/8" thick and 5" in diameter. It will need to have a concave shape about 3/4", but it is not symmetric.

I know the process for heating a sheet in an oven, and stretching it over a form (of vacuuming it into a form), but I have no experience doing it.

Two questions:

Can it be carefully heated with a calibrated heat gun, and free formed over the fiberglass cowl?

If not, what tips do you have for the oven process?

Thanks,

BJC

Last edited by a moderator:
Back