Forget George; let Fido fly it

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
So they didn't teach a dog to fly a plane. They taught it how to steer in response to specific visual and aural cues (lights and sounds). Misleading headlines like this is why we have some people thinking monkeys can employ effective traffic detection and avoidance.

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah
So they didn't teach a dog to fly a plane. They taught it how to steer in response to specific visual and aural cues (lights and sounds)...
To play devil's advocate, how, exactly, is that different from what I did on my flight from KTSP to L52 (and back) today, to go wander on the beach and get some lunch in Pismo with my wife?

I steered the plane in response to specific visual and aural cues (what I could see out the window and on the IP and what I could hear inside the headset). No? It's a matter of degree, I think - not a clear line.

While I'd LIKE to believe that I'm marginally more capable than a dog (the average one, in any case), there are times where I'm not at all convinced.

don january

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I'd like to see a dog help build a plane. Mix up some Epoxy Fido.Maybe a welding hood can be fitted.:cool:

rv7charlie

Lifetime Supporter
I'm pretty sure that I posted exactly what I meant to post. ;-) Surely all of us here know what George is, right?

I don't think there's any danger of rational people thinking that dogs can actually pilot a plane just because of that headline. It's very clear in the article that it was a PR stunt to raise awareness about shelter animals, and encourage their adoption.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Did George get a new dog? Astro could have flown without visual prompts, but apparently not Fido. Who is this Fido dog and what happened to Astro?

049D1C6B-29A0-4E2F-85E8-6A0F43E85B6A.jpeg

don january

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I'm pretty sure that I posted exactly what I meant to post. ;-) Surely all of us here know what George is, right?

I don't think there's any danger of rational people thinking that dogs can actually pilot a plane just because of that headline. It's very clear in the article that it was a PR stunt to raise awareness about shelter animals, and encourage their adoption.
I as a rational person have to wonder what the hell a dog or cat getting adopted has to do with a plane getting built??

Riggerrob

To play devil's advocate, how, exactly, is that different from what I did on my flight from KTSP to L52 (and back) today, to go wander on the beach and get some lunch in Pismo with my wife?

I steered the plane in response to specific visual and aural cues (what I could see out the window and on the IP and what I could hear inside the headset). No? It's a matter of degree, I think - not a clear line.

While I'd LIKE to believe that I'm marginally more capable than a dog (the average one, in any case), there are times where I'm not at all convinced.
There is considerable over-lap between the smartest dog and the dumbest human.

Tiger Tim

This got me briefly thinking about how I could actually teach my dogs to fly, but then I remembered I have a house full of beagles and they’d just crash into the nearest trash can.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Did George get a new dog? ... what happened to Astro?
Astro was confiscated by a rich guy who claimed that it was his long-lost dog Tralfaz. It nearly broke the Jetson family's heart, and Tralfaz was unhappy despite the incredible luxury he was living in.

Right on time (about 90 seconds before the end of the show), the rich guy had a change of heart, and let Tralfaz go back to George's home to live out his life as Astro.

I'm not making this up, don't any of you guys watch quality TV to learn about these things any more?

rv7charlie

Lifetime Supporter
I meant the previews as opposed to just text. A lot of people won't click links if they don't have some idea what's there. Sorry.
No problem, but I did wonder at first if I'd inserted the wrong hyperlinks. ;-)
I understand that concern, but having the link embedded in a graphic or picture is no more of a guarantee that it will go where the image says than any other version of text that has the embedded hyperlink. You can hover your mouse pointer over either type of hyperlink and see the actual web address that's embedded, but even that can be tricky if a dedicated scammer is spoofing a well known site. Fortunately, the better browsers these days will usually warn you if you've clicked on a hazardous link.