Foreflight basic Q

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
FAA position wrt charts summarized here Frequently Asked Questions

BJC
Thanks. Right there in item 3. "...As we have said, it is NOT FAA policy to initiate enforcement action against a pilot for having an old chart on board or no chart on board." That's because there is no regulation on the issue."

Last edited:

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
I've had my iPad Pro for two or three years and it has never shut down for heat. As far as I can remember, it's never shut down for anything. I haven't used it in a hot cockpit for hours but I have used it out in the heat. Nevertheless, I was planning to get one of those mounts with the cooling fans built in before I relied on it for important functions during flight, simply because I've seen so many people report shutdowns for overheating.

Aviacs

For me it seems to be down to Foreflight Sentry (12 hrs battery, $499) vs Appareo Stratus 3 (8 hrs battery, $699) Stratus has flight data (don't think i need that?) it also has option to connect remote ADS-B or GPS antenna which could be useful if the system makes it to completion with my Sonerai2 project.

Currently, the club C140 has a Stratus panel mount ADS-B in/out and small ifly GPS. So anything with my iPad is redundancy.
The prewar J3 is non-electric, so ipad would be primary, & battery life would be a useful factor.
PS: is there any reason to consider Garmin GDL-50 over the above 2 items?
Reviews seem to favor Sentry over Stratus, not just cost but performance; though in the critical areas they seem comparable.

smt

Hephaestus

I keep reading on the 'net and it leads to more questions and more equipment that is unfamiliar.
I am, nonetheless, committed to plugging along so long as it does not antagonize the membership.
Keep posting - there's probably 20 wise old men waiting for you to post a detailed step by step how-to :)

Think I heard a hundred times how easy it was. I struggled with it, and really struggled with the apple ecosystem... Then decided to go the garmin route - because that I could get clear instructions and training on (at a price of course...)

TFF

Although the internal GPS is usually ok, it’s better to use something like a Stratus. I have had a signal drop out at night with the right conditions on an IPAD along with a non external antenna portable GPS. Adding an external antenna made the signal bullet proof.

TFF

I did have my phone overheat one time. Not a real hot day, but I was running it listening to a podcast on YouTube laying it on a roof while I cleaned gutters. Not super hot day but when the processor is working and it can’t dissipate the heat it will shut down. If you remember scorching on black vinyl seats in a Ford Torino Wagon in the summer, that’s about how hot the phone was and had to cool down from. It actually retains heat very well.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Tangentially related question:

Has/is any one run(ing) Forflight on an Android using an emulator?

Same question but using a Google free Android based phone/tablet?

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Step by step instructions for connecting an iPad (with Foreflight installed) to a Stratus:

1. Turn on Stratus
2. Turn on iPad
3. Select "settings" on iPad
4. Select WiFi and enable (as soon as you enable WiFi, your iPad will "sniff out" any WiFi signal within range)
5. Search for and then select the Stratus output as your WiFi source
6. Go to home page and open Foreflight
7. Go fly.

Works pretty much the same for other position sources (some are WiFi and some are bluetooth).

Last edited:

pfarber

've had my iPad Pro for two or three years and it has never shut down for heat
I haven't used it in a hot cockpit for hours but I have used it out in the heat.
I have, and they got hot and they shut down. If you mount it on a yoke or window then it gets hit with IR (aka the sun) and quickly shuts down.

So much so they have multiple ipad coolers explicitly for pilots.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Easy to solve. Hook up a quick-disconnect to your iPad housing. Drill an inlet hole in the the iPad case. Disconnect your vacuum gyro instruments (who needs those antiquated things anyway?) and connect your vacuum system to the iPad. Extra points if you can repurpose an old gyro into a DC generator to recharge the iPad. Always charged, always cool. :cool:

And don't get any ideas. I've already applied for the patent.