Ford fuel mixture

Discussion in 'Ford' started by jerry, Dec 5, 2003.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 5, 2003 #1

jerry

jerry

jerry

Okay my V6 is installed and I am just a few hours from run-up and taxi checks. At this juncture I realise that I have not made provisions for leaning the fuel mixture. I am open to suggestions. criticizm, or what-ever. Any thoughts lurking about out there? Jerry

2. Dec 11, 2003 #2

Ben Haas

Ben Haas

Ben Haas

Are you running a carb or fuel injection????

3. Dec 16, 2003 #3

waynebo

waynebo

waynebo

Most of the people using the Ford engine have used the McNealy leaning block. There is a V6 STOL newsletter that Bruce Frank has put out that has an abundance of information on the autoengine conversion, specific to Fords.

4. Dec 16, 2003 #4

Ben Haas

Ben Haas

Ben Haas

Ford Powered Zenith 801 STOL

anyone reading this and wanting some pics of my project email me directly. It is a Zenith 801 with an all aluminum V-8 Ford. 650 Hp + detuned to the mid three hundred hp range. Itr is about one hp per pound of engine weight..
    Happy Holidays..

Ben Haas N801BH.. benford2@aol.com

5. Dec 25, 2003 #5

Ben Haas

Ben Haas

Ben Haas

6. Dec 29, 2003 #6

Flying Boat

Flying Boat

Flying Boat

Ben Haas:

First let me say WOW! I looked at your pictures and love what you are doing. I also, what to use a Ford engine so I have a question or two if you don't mind.

What PSRU, Prop, and which Ford block is your engine based on? I have a million more questions but I will stop here.

7. Dec 29, 2003 #7

Ben Haas

Ben Haas

Ben Haas

Prop is a Ivo in flight adjustable Magnum Paddle series 84" Psru is a modified Belted Air unit. I am very impressed with its construction. I had to machine a new block plate and starter pad but I have a complete machine shop here so it was fun. I will send ya the fact sheet on the motor. It is based on a 302 using a stroker crank making it a 347 cu in. It has a aluminum Ford block too. Ford dealers will deny they make one but if ya go through some racing channels over on the east coast one can buy one. It even has the Ford emblem casted on it. My local Ford dealer didn't believe me and lost a little bet on that one.Any one else out there wanting the specs just email me and I will email it to ya.
    Ben Haas. N801BH

8. Dec 29, 2003 #8

Ben Haas

Ben Haas

Ben Haas

Haaspower,Inc.
    700 Ponderosa Dr
    Jackson Hole, Wyoming
    USA.
    Phone/Fax 307-733-9554

For all of you that are interested in this powerplant for experimental aircraft here are the components going into this engine. It all starts with a Ford Motorsports engine block . This is an all aluminum design with web stiffeners located throughout , all water and oil line plugs are the screw in type. This block needs special machining to incorporate all the standard parts that are available worldwide for a 302 automotive and truck version except the steel forged crankshaft, H beam rods and forged pistons which are available from several racing suppliers. Heads are Edelbrock aluminum with Stainless Steel valves, silicon bronze guides,hard seats, Aluminum intake manifold, Weber sidedraft carb. duel MSD ignition, ARP engine studs, Melling oil pump, Crane billet steel roller cam, roller rocker arms and roller lifters, Fluiddamper balancer, aluminum V pulleys and various other components that are the best that I can locate. This combination will be a 349 cu in motor.

My desire was to package a motor that is easy to work on, be very reliable and have worldwide parts availability. This combination will be set up using a wet sump oiling system and a front sump oil pan for extra clearance in the nose of the plane. I will be using a Belded Air 1.43-1 redrive on the prototype. The numbers I am shooting for are one pound of engine weight for each horsepower and a small total engine profile that will fit in most airframes. This is a liquid cooled engine that will provide safe cockpit heat and end all chances of shock cooling of cylinders, liquid cooling also can provide a lower fuel burn for increased range.

Status of this design as of 11-27-2002
    All parts are here except for the crankshaft. I have been through three suppliers so far and none have passed my quality control standards. The fourth is in transit now and if it checks out good balancing will start and the motor should be on the dyno in a few weeks. Stay in touch and I will give you all the numbers when I get them. Thanks for the interest in this project.

Ben Haas

9. Dec 30, 2003 #9

Flying Boat

Flying Boat

Flying Boat

Ben Haas:

Excellent work. I am very interested in which forged strocker crank works out, as I am planing a similar stroked small block.

I can't wait to hear that it's running.

10. Aug 6, 2008 #10

F82man

F82man

F82man

What do you know about the ford V10? It produces just under 400 HP, and about 500 foot lbs of torque. Since I am considering the larger engines, I am also wanting as close to a V12 sound as I can get without plunking down 65K for a falconer V12. The later (2005 and up), Ford V10s have three valves per cylinder, and aluminum heads, and they have solved the "plug spitting" problem. The only question is, since the right engine has to turn backwards, will this affect the balance shaft?? I contacted Ford about the use of it in an airplane, and they had no information, and were tight lipped about the balance shaft. Who would know?? I have also considered the Viper V10, but they are hard to find, and aftermarket parts are like looking for chickens teeth. I know the Big ford, and Chevys are plentiful, but they dont have the sound. Any Ideas?? Don