For the Nieuport Builders

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
A quick search of the regs indicates that weapons (all dangerous ones) are prohibited from being attached to un-maned aircraft.
Carrying guns and shooting from maned aircraft is done all the time so I don't see much difference if the gun is mounted or not? Whole lot easier for the door gunner to aim than to turn the plane.

The PA-12 I took my first lessons in was totaled several years later while on rent to hunt coyotes.

TFF

I know with the hog hunt aircraft for sportsman, the aircraft have to make sure the gun is mounted and the gun becomes part of the aircraft with 337. The only true gun shooting from a plane I know was a guy who blazed a herd of deer from his crop duster with a full auto AR15. They were waiting for him when he landed. That has a whole other wrong with it.

Victor Bravo

I have a good friend who is a Hollywood FX guy that makes cast aluminum propane powered .50 cal MA-2 guns for movie and TV stuff. It's a completely legal non-firearm (no bullets, no powder), so you could actually put one on an airplane and go out and make a bunch of noise with it at airshows. Fairly inexpensive compared to the real thing, and it prevents those annoying people in black suits with earphones from showing up with those pesky handcuffs.

galapoola

Speaking of the ATF, is it legal to mount a real firearm to an airplane? (Asking for a friend)
Bob
Must be legal in some places:
Shoot an M249 Saw out of a Helicopter at Machine Guns Vegas

I remember reading about a Floridian who would fly into international waters, gulf side, and passengers would take turns shooting his full auto out the open door. That wasn't a fixed gun like you asked but interesting nonetheless. It became a story when boaters reported him and the authorities said they had no jurisdiction.

TFF

Commercial operations can give experiences. Hog hunts and the machine gun. I know of a company that was used in sniper training from a helicopter. It was a commercial company that also worked with the FSDO. I do also know that for personal use, something like up to 15 pounds of ammo can be carried by you in your luggage commercial airlines. That is not in the FARs. It’s in an ATF document. Agencies rarely cross paths and have clear rules when they do. You have to have the right law which might not be in the area you think.

thump

The other factor, of course, is cost. A brand-new Browning M2 would set you back about $15,000;

Thats the cheapest part of the equation, Then you have to feed them.

robertl

Thanks for the info guys, I don't have a plane now but had a Phantom U/L a while back and thought about putting a Ruger 10/22 on the pod with a BMF Activator on it. I know from shooting full auto 223 ammo it gets expensive, the 22, not so bad but so much fun. AND JUST TO KEEP THING STRAIGHT, I DON'T PLAN TO MOUNT A FIREARM TO AN AIRPLANE !!! 😁
Bob