For the Nieuport Builders

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Wanttaja

I made a 75% scale Spandau machinegun for my Fokker E-III. Mine is mostly 3d printed.
Was the cooling jacket printed in multiple sections, or did you have a printer large enough to handle it? Been toying with doing a Spandau or a Vickers, but the print area for my 3D printer is kind of small.

Ron Wanttaja

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
Those are awesome, guys! Ron, are you going to mount that Lewis on Moonraker? The Spandau looks great on the Eindecker.

Wanttaja

Turn that around for a tail gunner and put a couple of vickers on the cowl.
You're talking about the "Bristol Badger." Last year, the Fly Baby Facebook group was discussing the "Junkers" conversions of the Fly Baby, and lamented there wasn't a "Good Guy" version. Came up with a fictitious '20s prototype.
Bristol Badger.jpg
Paint job is actually the Westlands prototype scheme, but it's a nice variation on the traditional blue and yellow.

Here's the "Boche Baby"....

junkersFB1 - Aeroplane monthly.jpg
Ron Wanttaja

Last edited:

Wanttaja

The barrel jacket was 4 parts. I have a 12x12 print bed.
Curse you, Red Baron. Mine is limited to nine.
Those are awesome, guys! Ron, are you going to mount that Lewis on Moonraker? The Spandau looks great on the Eindecker.
It makes a good joke, but I'm not going to include it even semi-permanently unless the drapes match the carpet (e.g., the rest of the airplane actually resembles a warplane).

Part of the issue (to anal-retentive history buffs like myself) is that the Lewis never had an interruptor gear.

Apparently, the RFC did mount Lewis Guns on BE-2s, angled off to the side a bit to clear the prop arc. Here's a screenshot from the BBC "Wings" series that shows it.
wings tv series.JPG
Ron Wanttaja

radfordc

Looking at my stl files it appears that you could print a 95% scale Spandau on your machine (Ender 3 size print volume). If you cut the parts into smaller chunks using an app like Meshmixer you could print a full scale model. If you would like my stl files let me know and I will send them to you.

Wanttaja

Looking at my stl files it appears that you could print a 95% scale Spandau on your machine (Ender 3 size print volume). If you cut the parts into smaller chunks using an app like Meshmixer you could print a full scale model. If you would like my stl files let me know and I will send them to you.
Solidworks has a "Slice" function that I've used a couple of times, either to get parts small enough to fit on my build space, or to let them print with minimum additional build supports. I dislike how the interfaces look (still an obvious line where they join) but could probably use filler.

Thanks for the offer of the files, but 90% of the fun for me is in the design. It's a great way to learn Solidworks....

Ron Wanttaja

radfordc

Speaking of the ATF, is it legal to mount a real firearm to an airplane? (Asking for a friend)
Bob
I couldn't find anything about mounting a firearm, but there's plenty of shooting from aircraft....

Wanttaja

Speaking of the ATF, is it legal to mount a real firearm to an airplane? (Asking for a friend)
I know a guy with a Browning .30 on a four-wheeler.

Until his divorce :-( he had the largest legal collection of automatic weapons in the US (over 1,000). Everything from Gatling Guns to SAWs. He let me shoot some of them, including a WWII German MG-42. He lives in the desert, owns several off-road vehicles. Last visit I noticed the mount on the four-wheeler....

Ron Wanttaja

TFF

I believe the answer is no or people would not remove them from warbirds. Im guessing a cross civil code that the FAA piggybacks on.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I have often fantasized about a Sperry Messenger replica, which I know was not armed but certainly could have been if push came to shove. The easiest option would have been a mount above the top wing like a Nieuport Bébé. And for that immediate post-WWI period a Marlin M1917 would be appropriate. That looks fairly easy to mock up, hmmm....

21C0D74A-7BE2-4F70-9820-64E37B1B4E26.pngD474E77A-CA7E-41F3-94B6-52A832721D75.png

Wanttaja

Actually, I don't think the ATF or FAA care, beyond the normal licensing requirements of the ATF.

I visited the Historic Aircraft Restoration Museum at Creve Coeur airport outside of St. Louis a few years back. They have a replica Sopwith Pup there, complete. It not only has an original rotary engine, it has a Vickers with an interruptor gear.

I spoke to one of the museum pilots. He had actually fired the Vickers in flight. Because of the interruptor gear, the rate of fire varies with engine RPM...fire in a dive, the gun fires relatively slow (because the prop is blocking the path more often), and once you start pulling up, the gun fires faster.

Where I think it might be an issue is the need to keep the guns secure. Having actual guns in the wings of a P-51 replica would complicate things like going to Oshkosh, where the plane might sit outside overnight unguarded. Better with dummy guns; never an issue.

The other factor, of course, is cost. A brand-new Browning M2 would set you back about $15,000; that'd be $90,000 to completely populate the wings of a P-51. They're available for less on the used market, but even there the prices are high. Heck of a lot cheaper to install non-firing replicas.

Ron Wanttaja