for Iron Man and Rocketeer fans

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Looks like it uses thrust vectoring on the two outboard engines.
Yes, and with some kind of stabilization system. He doesn't have a controller in his hand that I can see. For me, this is another giant leap forward for this project. The next step is to demonstrate a conversion from vertical to horizontal flight and back. If he could then integrate three-axis flight controls so that you don't have to play the "wave your hands around for control" game, this could be a really amazing vehicle, and likely would be a big seller with special forces branches.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I suspect that the Special Forces people already have something a little better than wingsuits, but I doubt they're jet powered. My guess is that would be way too finicky and fiddly for any real-world situation. And loud and with a heat signature.

Remember that the black ops folks can usually get a ride in to the general area that they're visiting. Out the bck of a C-130 or C-17, and they can probably go 10+ miles in a fabric squirrel suit from altitude. You could make a swing-wing or scissor wing that pivots on the back of that squirrel suit that carries the lift loads instead of the guy's arms.

I would guess that some HBA type personality would have designed them a little air toboggan or rigid pod (flying torpedo) with short wings that can get a 10 or 12 to 1 glide, maybe 30 miles. This little pod or kayak sized thingie could even have room for a little more of their vacation luggage aboard :)

TarDevil

If he could then integrate three-axis flight controls so that you don't have to play the "wave your hands around for control" game, this could be a really amazing vehicle...
In a video several years ago, he said body control was a favorite feature (keeps it close as possible to true human flight) and is here to stay.

I think I'm in your camp... I'd like movable surfaces.

Aerowerx

... He doesn't have a controller in his hand that I can see. ...
Watch carefully...

See those little boxes strapped to his wrists? Motion sensors. And notice how he carefully and slowly moves his arms?

Very clever I think!

Aerowerx

...I would guess that some HBA type personality would have designed them a little air toboggan or rigid pod (flying torpedo) with short wings...
I pointed that out a month or two ago, with regards to telescoping wings. Already been done, at least as a graduate research design project.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
A friend of mine has studied the Williams WASP. It worked to a modest degree, and that was with a very early Williams engine in it. They abandoned the flying platform idea for reasons including the short flight duration/range and noise, and concentrated on engine development, and became a big company selling the best small jet powerplants.

But if you were to combine Williams' old WASP vehicle with one of their own newer more efficient engines, the flight duration, noise, fuel efficiency, etc. would be far greater. Add the data processing power of an average iPhone for augmented stability, and the thing would actually be usable as a to-from work commuter vehicle for people with a fat wallet.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA

I would guess that some HBA type personality would have designed them a little air toboggan or rigid pod (flying torpedo) with short wings that can get a 10 or 12 to 1 glide, maybe 30 miles. This little pod or kayak sized thingie could even have room for a little more of their vacation luggage aboard :)
That would be Jack McCornack after his Pterodactyl Ascender adventures. Hopefully somebody will will find a better link than the ones I found listed below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pterodactyl_Ascender
https://www.motherearthnews.com/green-transportation/100-mpg-car-zmaz09onzraw
From https://www.motherearthnews.com/biographies/jack-mccornack

The further evolution of MAX
His current aviation designs tend to the fanciful and exotic, and he finally made it in the world of spy fiction by developing functional special effects devices for James Bond films. Have you ever seen one of Jack's aircraft? You have if you saw Die Another Day or its many television ads — that was Pierce Brosnan and Halle Berry mounted on one of Jack's “Switchblade” stealth gliders.

To Jack; I hope you are still with us and wish you a Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

jedi

But if you were to combine Williams' old WASP vehicle with one of their own newer more efficient engines, the flight duration, noise, fuel efficiency, etc. would be far greater. Add the data processing power of an average iPhone for augmented stability, and the thing would actually be usable as a to-from work commuter vehicle for people with a fat wallet.
The Wasp did not need augmented stability as it was designed to be stable. I worked engine development for Williams in the early WASP days (Late 70s). The program was dependent on military funding and what you see is as far as that went. The future money was in business jets and even that had its faults as in the Fox jet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxjet_ST600 - "The tiny Williams Research type WR44 turbofan that had made the project possible received certification for use in a passenger-carrying aircraft, but due to its selection as the powerplant for cruise missiles, the United States government blocked non-military use of the engine.[citation needed] Without a suitable alternative available, the project could not proceed."

The WR44 engine was optimized for static thrust. The current engines are optimized for cruise at roughly 500 kts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eclipse_500 - Originally Eclipse selected a pair of Williams International EJ-22 engines (a production variant of the FJ22/FJX-2) for the Eclipse 500, but as the aircraft's weight increased, performance was not satisfactory

jedi

If he could then integrate three-axis flight controls so that you don't have to play the "wave your hands around for control" game, this could be a really amazing vehicle, and likely would be a big seller with special forces branches.
There is no magic in three axis controls. What is wrong with the "look or point to where you want to go". I think that would be and is just fine.

And Yves Rossi...JetMan agrees.

Last edited: