Folding vs removeable wings

Discussion in 'General Experimental Aviation Questions' started by Mike Armstrong, Sep 23, 2007.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 23, 2007 #1

Mike Armstrong

Mike Armstrong

Mike Armstrong

I would like to be able to trailer a low wing aircraft. Googling 'folding wings' I find that there are many examples. I would think that a folding wing would be much more user friendly for single person operation than a removeable wing but I think the glider guys might argue with that.

What are some of the more successful folding wing designs and are they generally safer than removeable designs?

Mike

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  2. Sep 24, 2007 #2

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

The Stits Playmate or Playboy had folding wings and when Ron Vanderhart had his Auto powered one at Oshkosh he would fold the wings whenever someone asked him to. It was that easy.

3. Sep 24, 2007 #3

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator

All the Kolbs have easy folding wings (though they're not low wing as you specified). The Bowers Fly Baby has folding wings, too, but I don't know how easy it is.

-Dana

"Gold cannot always get you good soldiers, but good soldiers can always get you gold"-- Niccolo Machiavelli

4. Sep 24, 2007 #4

Mike Armstrong

Mike Armstrong

Mike Armstrong

The Fly Baby and the Spezio Tuholer both have folding wings but also have either fly wires or wing struts, perhaps thats to make up for any weakness in the hinge mechanisms?

5. Sep 25, 2007 #5

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator

Folder or not, you can build a wing lighter if it's externally supported, which is why most high wing planes have struts (it makes more sense for a high wing plane since the strut is in tension (stronger than compression) and there's already structure for landing gear where the struts attach.

-Dana

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in
    human history... with the possible exception of handguns and tequila.

6. Mar 19, 2015 #6

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

Look at the Panther kitplane which was on the cover of KITPLANES Magazine.

7. Mar 19, 2015 #7

don january

don january

don january

KRNET has many post about the folding wing and I really like the Idea, but like all would say you still have to unbolt the WAF. If you look into the older KR news letters.(thing of the past) there was pictures and option to buy a kit. building new wings for my KR and seriously thinking of adding this feature to it. Don

8. Mar 19, 2015 #8

ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Banned

Since I'm interested in folding wings too, here is what seems to be reasonably easy to do. My concerns were about
    what happens with the control cables when folding a wing. I want something that is foolproof and doesn't require
    continued connect/disconnect of control cables each time the wing is folded. I think I stumbled onto the answer the
    other day. I had considered that if a two point wing attach was used, the front point could be easily unbolted/unpinned
    allowing the rear spar to be used as a hinge. Fairly standard idea. The cables would then be routed just aft of the hinge point.
    My concern was that when the cables were slackened due to the wing being rotated rearward, and the possibility existed
    that the cables might become caught or entangled when the wing was rotated forward again. I thought about a spring to
    retain tension but my mental picture of its location was in the wrong place. It finally occurred to me that it might be
    possible to make the cables end at the flap or aileron control so that there was no looseness when the wing is in its
    flight position....with the each cable providing tension against the other.....a "closed circuit" so to speak. If a spring
    could then be attached to either the ends of the cables or the flight control (stick/yoke)......when the cables relax due
    to the wing being rotated rearward, the slack that is created would be taken up by the spring. I haven't actually put
    pencil to paper to sketch something out yet, but at first thought it seems viable.

9. Mar 19, 2015 #9

TFF

TFF

TFF

I believe with the Flybaby, you disconnect the bottom flying wires and at least i aileron wire, pull the mount bolts, the wing is supported by the top landing wires and a jointed tube. Pull wing out to the joint and rotate and walk it back to the tail where the leading edge locks into the stab. Onex is the coolest and I would be doing torque tube like a Tailwind or Grumman AA1. The Tailwind knockoff Nesmith Cougar had folding option and got rid of the flaps for less complication.

10. Mar 19, 2015 #10

don january

don january

don january

one of my hanger chat spoke of NOT kinking the cables. is it poss. to run push pull for your aliron control? has the plane been built yet? your thoughts on a spring tension sounds probable but something tells me that may become a can of worms? any thing rubbing on the cable could be fatal over time. and if the spring was mounted permently to the cable I'd be worried about spring falure over time. If you can get to see a few planes that have folding wings that would be a great step in the right direction. keep us posted on your finds. Don

11. Mar 20, 2015 #11

jmt1991

jmt1991

jmt1991

The Preceptor N3 Pup has a folding wing option. The aileron cable is disconnected at one end of the turnbuckle in the cabin so you never touch the turnbuckle adjustment. Hopefully after this weekend I'll have the folding wings installed and adjusted and can test it out. It's so simple, I never would have thought of it. :gig:

Marty

12. Mar 20, 2015 #12

ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Banned

How bout some pictures..........

13. Mar 20, 2015 #13

dougwanderson

dougwanderson

dougwanderson

sonerai low wing 2 place. zippy hi wing single place, clutton fred wood hi wing.

14. Mar 21, 2015 #14

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.