Fold wings to 100in or drop and fold to 92in?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Protech Racing

I'm still drawing my ultralight with folding wings, How important is it really to stay under 8ft wide? If I drop the wings and then fold the max width is the horizontal tail. If I simply swing the wings it is chord plus stuff to about 102in. Swing wing is fairly simple . Drop and swing is less so simple. Thanks for your input .

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Well the interstate highway system is 8ft 6in wide standard for the truck and trailer but the mirrors have to stick out far enough to see behind the trailer to the center 200ft behind the trailer so they stick out about another 1ft 6in each side for a total of over 11ft 6in at the mirrors likely often over 13ft. But on regular roads it is mostly 8ft wide trailer and if it is enclosed you will be lucky to have 92 inch at the back door ... of course you could build a side door and load it sideways? (the mirrors are still going to be way wide of that)

OhAnElBirds

The federal 102" legal limit only applies on federally maintained highways. Many US states and subdivisions thereof have narrower legal limits. I don't know if yours is a practical or legal concern. A decade ago when I had to deal with these limitations at least weekly 96" was common.

And if you are going to move it in a box (dry van) the inside dimension has to allow the outside dimension to fit the legal limit "102 inch" dry vans were commonly 99 or 99.5 inches with some supposedly 100 inside. We had several issues with plate vans that were slightly out of square not accepting custom made crates that were "technically" maximum width (as well as a few that ended up being constructed 1/8" over, or not exactly square themselves.)

If I were looking to regularly transport an aircraft in a trailer, I would obtain the trailer, or at least personally measure one I knew would be available...

Because ... "Surprise, surprise, surprise Sergeant Carter," sales brochures lie ...

There may be other "surprises" too. Some dry vans and trailers have angle iron guides, walls, bumper rails, waffles, brackets, light fixtures, reinforcements, door channels ... You get the picture-- intruding on the advertised available space.

TFF

Even if you got away with wide width with no hassle from the local constabulary, all you need is some yahoo take a foot off the plane, so it does fit on the roadway.

Protech Racing

Right. I have a T tail drawn to swing the wings under. Well see how it plays out . My Dad is an old engineer with lots of modeling experience. ( he needs a mission) He's on the scale model now. He wants to see how the flying spoilerons will work, as do I. We have push tubes for them with no cables to remove for folding .
Ideally, one person will be able to fold and unfold .

rv7charlie

Lifetime Supporter
It makes a rather long package, but I've always been fond of the Backyard Flyer technique. No fold; just rotate the whole wing to parallel with the fuselage.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Yes, but it needs a thick cantilever wing to work without struts and be light enough. A very thick, high-camber wing could make enough lift to allow a shorter span, which would result in a shorter trailer.

Gregory Perkins

Right. I have a T tail drawn to swing the wings under. Well see how it plays out . My Dad is an old engineer with lots of modeling experience. ( he needs a mission) He's on the scale model now. He wants to see how the flying spoilerons will work, as do I. We have push tubes for them with no cables to remove for folding .
Ideally, one person will be able to fold and unfold .
The BEAVER 650 had the best folding wing that I have ever seen. It folded on the front spar connect and the weight of the wing was fully supported through the entire swing arc. see pics attached ( Jack Harper also did this with one of his designs)

Attachments

Gregory Perkins

I'm still drawing my ultralight with folding wings, How important is it really to stay under 8ft wide? If I drop the wings and then fold the max width is the horizontal tail. If I simply swing the wings it is chord plus stuff to about 102in. Swing wing is fairly simple . Drop and swing is less so simple. Thanks for your input .
Jack Harper's Lil Breezy - Why deal with the weight of the wing when folding ?

Attachments