Foam ribs with plywood capstrips?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Erik Snyman

Pops, what kind of servos did you use for the auto pilot trim tabs?
I used gaint scale RC servos for the autopilot for the 2 years that it was install. but now I have been using servos for elevator trim and they are higher quality and can be bought for use when using the RC square wave pulse train that I used in the autopilot . Used these in the SSSC and the JMR for electic pitch trim with the model with limit switches. Power is 200N.

[/QUOTE]
Hello Pops
Please, what does SSSC stand for?
Erik in Oz.

sming

A video of a guy building a ULF-1 glider but with foam and wood catstrip ribs :

These (french, sorry) guys wrap uni fiberglass around the 30mm foam ribs (and over the spar) and then a bit of plywood (I wonder why? for the fabric glue?)

TFF

I worry about the foam aging and critters , like above, tasting it. I would want a minimal glass covering. Very minimal aircraft with a minimal lifespan is one thing. The question is will you cut it up in five years

The foam used is meant to be in a home and if it falls apart under the wall, your house still doesn’t.
30 years on, I worry about safety of it inside a wing.

The mouse is pretty smart in that it will test anything similar if they’ve found food behind it. I left some food in a plastic container in the hanger. Mice ate through it cleaned it out. The plastic was like every oil bottle in the hanger. They would gnaw through the corner at the bottom and find oil, then move on. I had all these little leaks going on inside cabinets for months. Pools of oil on the shelves. If your plane tastes right, they will try it out. Wood, plastic, paper are easy targets.

It might be easy to just cut a rib out, but I want life out of it. I want better life than the Space shuttle model I made from a 4’x8’one inch foam, in high school.

slohand42

I'm new to this forum, but am planning on building a UL or LSA of some proven plan in the near future. I am very interested in using foam ribs with wood caps. There are a few designs out there that are using it now. The Texas Parasol uses foam ribs. It has compression "ribs" (bent aluminum channel) glued to the sides of the necessary ribs. There are a few others.
From all the info gleaned on this thread, I'm convinced that in my application it would work and not be a loss of strength or a gain of weight.
I like the way it was done on the Woodpecker. I think I will do some tests myself.

pwood66889

Foam ribs with wood caps were used in the Independence Flyer, Slo. Made some on my house boat.
The Woodpecker looks do-able, and I wish you all the luck!

Pops

Log Member
I used gaint scale RC servos for the autopilot for the 2 years that it was install. but now I have been using servos for elevator trim and they are higher quality and can be bought for use when using the RC square wave pulse train that I used in the autopilot . Used these in the SSSC and the JMR for electic pitch trim with the model with limit switches. Power is 200N.

Hello Pops
Please, what does SSSC stand for?
Erik in Oz.
[/QUOTE]

SSSC ( Single Seat Super Cub).
My JMR Special. (Just Made Right )