• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Foam of choice for sandwich airplane construction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdus

I'm just getting into composite construction (and having lots o' fun learning) and don't know what the foam of choice is for fuselage and wing panels. This is for my F4U (AKA "Carbon Corsair") project. There's blue, yellow, PVC, Divinycell, Last-a-foam, 3lb, 4lb, 5bl, etc., etc., etc. I'm a long way of from building the plane, but am doing research, planning, design, etc. In the near future, however, I want to do some sample panel layups for 1) experience, 2) to get an idea how many layers I want on the outside for resistance to screwdrivers, airshow dummies, bird strikes, etc., and 3) to get some numbers for initial weight estimates.

What foam should I buy? I'll probably get 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" sheets for testing. Also, I'm going to be building the spar(s) according to Jim Marske's instructions. Will I use the same type of foam for the spar shear webs?

Thanks,
Jay

Back