• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Foam core composite motorcycle top box surface finishing advice please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotoFairing

This is my first foam core composite project. An aerodynamic motorcycle top box and this is where I am up to.

The foam layers were hot wire cut, stacked glued together and sanded to shape. I used some pastor stuff to fill low spots but I should not have. I then put layers of fiberglass on, and sanded with a random orbital sander but I ran out of epoxy which explains the unfinished job. Mistakes were made.

Now I am coming back to the project as I have more epoxy but I don't want to stuff it up so I am asking for some advice.

Current plan is:
1) Complete fiber glassing
2) Fill the low spots and sand smooth
3) Bottom then top, Layup carbon fiber (400g twill). Hardening under vacuum to ensure it stays down with perforated film and bleeder cloth.
4) Cut in half
5) Remove insides and sand to the carbon fiber
6) Reinforce box on the inside to satisfactory stiffness and hinge and bracket mounting points
8) Paint

Before I go ahead I want to get some advice to hopefully avoid some more stuff ups.

If I can get this finished I won't need a backpack on my motorcycle and I can advance to an exciting new fairing project.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg