• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Flywheel Seals etc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My Cygnet SF2A has a 2276cc VW assembled from Great Plains kit. The engine was assembled ~2014 from parts acquired 5-7 years earlier. Currently has about 150 hours.

I grounded it August 4 when it looked like I had a rear main seal issue with oil slinging out of the accessory case. Ordered a rear seal and proceeded to separate the engine from the plane.

It became apparent the main seal was perfect but the face of the crank and flywheel was leaking making a mess. I have a 8 dowel crank and a fiberboard gasket that had failed.

After reviewing situation I have a non o-ring flywheel. We examined options to machine in a groove but there was insufficient parent metal.

Happy to report after calling Art at Great Plains they have updated the 311- 4 dowel and 312 8-dowel flywheel to include a O-ring groove. After confirming I have a O-ring compatible crank I ordered one. It is too much work to pull a engine and a new fiber gasket was just asking to do this again in 1-300 hours.
REF
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=692467

I will install the new flywheel and source whatever shims I need to set the end play. If you find yourself leaking around the dowel pins review this area and consider upgrading to the O-ring solution.

It is also recommended if you have a 8 dowel crank to use the larger diameter HD washer under the gland nut. I will do this also while I reassemble everything. Hope to be flying again next week I need to do my cross country and schedule my check ride!

Please share your experience with sealing this end of the equation.

Attachments

• Fiber seal failed .jpg
    Fiber seal failed .jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Rear Main Seal not the issue.jpg
    Rear Main Seal not the issue.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Back