• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Flywheel drive VW engine mount

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike von S.

Supporting Member
Here are two views of my flywheel-forward engine mount for my Flitzer biplane. I am working to finish the welds (TIG).
This design is something of a hybrid between Bob Hoover's and Bruce King's (offered at one time by Great Plains) designs, modified with the addition of 2 firewall center mounting points, which take advantage of the fact that the Flitzer firewall includes two vertical support members. As light aerobatics are planned, this additional stiffening seems wise. Hoover's design was a pure bed-mount. King modified the geometry somewhat to suit the cowl dimensions of his BK1.3, and subsequently added retrofittable braces connecting the firewall to the upper (forward, in this configuration) bell-housing, both sides. In this design they are tied together as a unit, visible in the pics.
The six vibration isolators are patterned closely after Pops' design, which he kindly shared here in an earlier thread.
E4A2C773-2FA0-4CC6-924B-E210864ECEDB_1_105_c.jpeg7F84E6D7-D10F-4DD6-8DA7-88CEAD4746BA_1_105_c.jpegFEBB03DD-F55B-4C72-9698-1CA565F9FC49_1_105_c.jpeg

Back