flying wire brackets

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Brian Clayton

Looking at some biplanes (esp stearman), I notice that some of the wing brace wires are mounted to wire tangs that are "twisted" 90 deg in order to either line up the axis better or other various reasons. When twisting a strap bracket like this, is there a "spec" for the amount of twist? I suppose the way to make it is bend it soft and have it heat treated to avoid cracks.

TFF

I doubt they were heat treated from the factory, unless heating it up to twist it is considered. Technically it was treated to heat.

Matt G.

I doubt they were heat treated from the factory, unless heating it up to twist it is considered. Technically it was treated to heat.

That is not considered heat treatment. Performing that operation would undo any heat treatment on the part.

PTAirco

At the risk of offending Stearman enthusiasts, those twisted lugs are some of the most diabolically awful things I have ever seen on an aircraft. Yes, I know - they seem to hold up just fine. But still - it offends my notion that engineering should strive for elegance. Ugh.