Quantcast

Flying wing as cheap and simple option for basic fun flying.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

blane.c

HBA Supporter

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
What's the statute of limitations on being mistaken for a UFO?
"Asking for a friend" ;)
Considering the recent media circus created by a jet-pack (or a jet-pack shaped drone) here in Los Angeles... I'd say that there would be zero sense of humor displayed by all regulatory and law enforcement people.

Hephaestus

118519-2189fdb3a9ebfde8f331cb09dab094cd.png

Kinda still stuck on that original goal of mine of a fast single place xcountry design. Spent way too much time looking at the rohr 2-175/71x.

Now eyeballing this dobson layout (ignoring vtol craziness). A Yamaha YG3/4 up top with 90ish sqft of wing - would make for a nice 200-240kt cruiser, 35-40kt stall...

Fuselage is driving me a little crazy - was playing with a rans/tornado like shape - just looks out of place. The way the dobson was drawn you'd be pointing downhill flying level.

Anyone have some interesting thoughts on a fuselage shape that might look right and not be an aero nightmare?

blane.c

HBA Supporter

View attachment 105482

Kinda still stuck on that original goal of mine of a fast single place xcountry design. Spent way too much time looking at the rohr 2-175/71x.

Now eyeballing this dobson layout (ignoring vtol craziness). A Yamaha YG3/4 up top with 90ish sqft of wing - would make for a nice 200-240kt cruiser, 35-40kt stall...

Fuselage is driving me a little crazy - was playing with a rans/tornado like shape - just looks out of place. The way the dobson was drawn you'd be pointing downhill flying level.

Anyone have some interesting thoughts on a fuselage shape that might look right and not be an aero nightmare?
This was on thread recently.

Australian twin 1934.png

Hephaestus

A tilting mount for the pilot is a lot lighter and simpler than a tilting mount for the prop.
No interest in tilting the prop... That's for some other crazy person to try - but I do like the layout. Lots of room for a big prop, pretty decent all around visibility, big strong delta wing for fast xcountry in rougher air. Kind of like a flipped lippisch.

rotax618

Considering how stable circular wing models are at very high angles of attack (Zimmerman documented this phenomenon), you could build an almost Standing Takeoff and near Walking Pace Landing aircraft by replacing the Rotax 503 on Rowe’s UFO with a lightweight 120+HP 2 stroke giving say 500lbs of thrust.

Sockmonkey

No interest in tilting the prop... That's for some other crazy person to try - but I do like the layout. Lots of room for a big prop, pretty decent all around visibility, big strong delta wing for fast xcountry in rougher air. Kind of like a flipped lippisch.
Ah, I thought you were keeping the VTOL ability.

Hephaestus

Ah, I thought you were keeping the VTOL ability.
Nah then I'd have to put it anywhere but this thread :) VTOL will never be cheap or simple.

Still just chasing my tail on that PAV commuter type craft. Pusher was doing my head in when you absolutely don't want a prop extension...

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Half my reason for not wanting a metal plane.

Hail season.

🤣 I don't find the look appealing - you're welcome to go that route on your own work
I am curious if anyone has done experiments in an area, like the area just in front of a pusher prop to see if dimples would work as well as vortex generators? I mean in a discussion on which is better looking who's really going to win?