Quantcast

Flying wing as cheap and simple option for basic fun flying.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

erkki67

Which proposal of me are you referring to? The old looking fuselage with very large wheels? If yes, when you can place pilots head about at location of trailing edge, it should not be a problem. Just cut a half circle in the trailing edge and you fit in just like in a SWIFT hangglider. Easy.
Or you are referring to the low aspect ratio which i show below. Access might be easy. Just as easy as the Verhees Delta. Just get inside it from the rear. You can use the same technique i used to get inside my enclosed recumbent bike. Just sit (facing backward) on top of vehicle just after the seat. Rotate your body till your legs are directed to the cockpit and slide in. All you need to do is make a harder area on top of rear spar in this picture, i guess.
View attachment 103249View attachment 103250
Hello Koen

What if you integrated two electric impeller into your wing, like the HO229?

Speedboat100

Well I've had a good look at the Opal up close and personal, must be one of the easiest planes to build going.

I can cross over just about everything I've done in recent months to make these simply and dirt cheap.

View attachment 62098
View attachment 62099
View attachment 62100

CoG is a big problem though, needs to be perfect for every individual pilot, maybe some mini canards at the front could resolve that some at the minor expense of drag.

My traditional lookin aeroplane design is 1 metre shorter than Facet Opal.

I claim it is easier to build too.

Speedboat100

Anything to show , so we could imagine the bird?!

No I am keeping this under wraps as we have seen where it leads as I show one.

OTOH I can show older design from 2009..as it is same length and has traditional features.

New has 39 ft span...and AR of 15. Wingloading is 25 kg/m2 for a 250 lbs pilot.

FENIX_II_CofG.JPG

nestofdragons

Hello Koen
What if you integrated two electric impeller into your wing, like the HO229?
Hmmm ... that always puzzled me. How would a Low Aspect Ratio perform if you had two ducts with impellers? In a regular wing only a small part of the wing or fuselage gets involved. But in a very low aspect ratio you influence a large amount of the wing. Would it still fly like it would without those ducts?
2020-10-16 LAR.jpg

nestofdragons

Koen, install the impellers in the wing, not on, not in front, but in the wing.
That was just my point. IF installing impellers in wing you have on a larger portion of the wingarea a heavily modifies airfoil. I have no idea yet how airflow behaves on wingparts with large holes in it, but ...i guess it will be influencing the airflow a lot. The forced air at the back MIGHT suck air over the wing. So ... it might help when using power, but how would it behave if having engine trouble and no thrust. I have noooo clue. But i fear it will be bad.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
This represents significant thread drift, but seeing the rendering in Koen's post 1852...

We're getting pretty close to discussing having large counter-rotating propellers at the wingtips like the Zimmerman and V-173 Pancake layout, but with the thick wing shown by Koen. This is of course far far from the OP's "cheap and easy" parameters.

But it would yield better performance and fewer development problems than Horten/Gotha style impellers inside the wing.