Quantcast

Flying wing as cheap and simple option for basic fun flying.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I like planks for their essential simplicity and short overall length (I have sketched many with folding rudders and/or nose cones to fit sideways in a shipping container) but a swept-wing tailless design is easier in terms of the CG range and pitch control authority.

Two 4' chord and 12' span wing panels swept back 1:3 (18 degrees) plus a 4' square center section would give you a 28' span and 112 sq ft of wing area or 108.5 sq ft if you go with semicircular tips. That's more than enough for a good performance with a basic 55 hp VW conversion. At 700 lb gross weight and a stall speed of 41 mph, I get a very sprightly 1500 fpm max rate of climb and a cruising speed at 75% power over 100 mph.

I think something like the Granger with that wing, a VW, open cockpit, and a cute rounded rudder would be great fun. You could have an enclosed version with tricycle gear and angular wingtips and rudder for those wanting more performance or needing to fly in the cold. Control runs for both would be just a pair of rudder cables to the tail and one cable/pushrod run each side for the elevons.

rotax618

I’d like to see a sketch of your wing, I agree a swept wing will be easier to fly. Recon a full sized Zagi RC wing would be ideal. This one has a bit more sweep but is very simple concept.
DEEE58C5-6B37-4C76-9C65-222FBAB30371.jpeg

nestofdragons

Erkki67, if i see a flying wing with sweep i would place the pilots head if possible behind the trailing edge. His eyes just under the underside of the wing. That way he can look under the wing and above the wing. I used to do that in the SWIFT-hangglider. Man, what a perfect view for a flying wing! Engine in wingnose and you have a very low total construction if you create no long landinggear. Fueltank from spar to trailing edge in wings center (close to CG). Man ... the more i write about it, the better it all sounds.

Speedboat100

as long as the wing cord is identical. and now you hang a piojo style fuselage beneath it.

You mentioned big wheels earlier...are the wheels 400 mm dia ?

erkki67

You mentioned big wheels earlier...are the wheels 400 mm dia ?

Or 21Inch ones, the bigger the better.13F8D00F-5504-4CF9-B07D-DC5E7C56AA30.jpeg

Speedboat100

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
This is what I had in mind for the wing, then mounted on a fuselage not unlike a round-tailed Clutton FRED without the horizontal stab and elevator for a Granger Archaeopteryx look. Cockpit access would be much easier than most parasols because the center section would be all or mostly forward of the windscreen.

HBA concept sketches.png 1588750-large.jpg granger 2.jpg

I’d like to see a sketch of your wing, I agree a swept wing will be easier to fly. Recon a full sized Zagi RC wing would be ideal. This one has a bit more sweep but is very simple concept.

Last edited:

Riggerrob

If you build constant-chord (ala. English Electric Lightning) or even extended chord wing-tips (ala. BKB Kasper) you get greater control surface area at the greatest distance from the centre-of-gravity. This means greater control authority and greater stability. The only disadvantage is larger wing tip vortices. BKB used large tip fins to minimize vortices, but more modern Witcomb winglets could perform the same function with smaller size. Wingtip fins/winglets also have the advantage of mounting vertical stabilizers at the farthest distance (aft) of the centre-of-gravity.

rotax618

With a swept wing and a bit of clever design it would be possible to remove the rear strut, unpin the front spar attachment and fold the wings back (hinged on the rear spar attachment) for storage, the elevons would go over each other (one up one down), if the chord was 4ft plus elevons, it would fit in a shipping container or domestic car garage.

Riggerrob

Compare motorcycle wheels built for conventional motorcycles (little side load) versus motorcycles with side cars. Since the sidecar prevents titling/banking, those wheels need to transfer significant side loads.