Flying wing as cheap and simple option for basic fun flying.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

erkki67

yes better, even a bit deeper might be desirable .
so if you have a look at those Elevons of the Hatfield Bird, those are good sized panels, and for the rudder you have also a good size to follow, even if yours is below the wing.
And you add the fuselage you already had on one of your concepts, under the wing, and perfection for my opinion is close by for a LAR flying wing

.23E2C726-0B0F-42F1-8474-8E60412F94A0.jpeg

This is one Fritz’s First ideas for the Ranger, but the forward section of this fuselage, married with your tailcone and your wing, perfect.

Last edited:

Hephaestus

Would you really want such a thick airfoil? I mean 18% @ 8' chord is 17.28" tall - you're working in Reynolds numbers over 2million at 26mph.

While playing with the lazybee I've been getting significantly thinner - there's an 8% sitting on the bench right now to replace the 12% that replaced the 16% I started with.

Hephaestus

Very little wrong with thick airfoils at low speeds from what I've understood.
No depends how you're optimizing too - 18" thick is a lot of thickness to haul around. The sketch shows its pushing that Zimmerman end of the AR envelope. You do need to ask yourself how much lift you need at some point.

Notably the Arups were down in the 12% range too. One of the littlebirds appears to be around 9% by overlayed ballpark.

Sockmonkey

yes better, even a bit deeper might be desirable .
so if you have a look at those Elevons of the Hatfield Bird, those are good sized panels, and for the rudder you have also a good size to follow, even if yours is below the wing.
And you add the fuselage you already had on one of your concepts, under the wing, and perfection for my opinion is close by for a LAR flying wing

.View attachment 98771

This is one Fritz’s First ideas for the Ranger, but the forward section of this fuselage, married with your tailcone and your wing, perfect.
Here we go. I left in the forward beams for structural bracing and to hold a small windscreen.

Now, if we're not using endplates, are Hoener tips good enough?

Hephaestus

True, I'll fix that.
I actually have no idea if it matters, I was genuinely curious about effectiveness - I don't recall too many that have done it that way. Even more so with the short coupled nature.

Depending on LG height might need a bit of taper/chamfer at the bottom to ensure it doesn't make contact with the runway in case of a Pio or just to idiotproof it.

Lendo

I saw a model demonstrated of a very similar wing construction shape and it was very stable, so I like it.
I guess some things are needed to be sorted out.
I would be interested to see what happens if it's built.
George