Flying wing as cheap and simple option for basic fun flying.

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

henryk

if the BKB design was ever copied without modification.
=only modyfied by Kasper into BKB1-A
+W.Kasper BEKAS-N (fly tested by Kasper)
+W.Kasper (fuselage) and Madsen (wings),
imported from Arizona to Rzeszow,
after deep restoration 4 car towings (exellent flys !)
was destroyed after 20 sec. aerotow (WILGA 104).

PS=we have compleet BKB1/BEKAS-N documentation...

Norman

Norman,

Thanks for the clarification and corrections. The correct identification should have been BKB. Do you know if the BKB design was ever copied without modification. What is your impression of the original BKB design and Kasprzyk's modification to that aircraft?
I haven't heard of any full scale copies of the BKB-1. I'm not sure if the drawings still exist. The drawings and research reports from Stefan Brochocki, along with the recommendations to increase the size of the rudders and elevons, would have been transfered to Kasper when it became his turn to have possession of the glider. Most of those papers and some film ended up in the possession of Walter Serafin who was not cooperative and apparently didn't share much info about it. It looks like he died in 2009 and the fate of all of that stuff is unknown. Hopefully it didn't just get thrown out like most of our treasure/junk does when we die. There are some model plans available though. Stefanie told me about this guy, Laddie Mikulasko, who designed a very good model of it.

Last edited:

Norman

Lwow Politechnical Institute has no record of a Witold Anton Kasprzyk being a student there but records can get lost or destroyed. There was a big war with lots of bombing and fires

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
"=only modyfied by Kasper into BKB1-A"

Is BKB1-A The original as modified or the later build with the extended span?

At one time I sorted the videos by N number. Is N1853 the original or the extended span?
It would be nice to have a list of models and identification numbers etc. posted on Wiki with dates, outcome, events, etc.

My current understanding is N1853* (See edit correction below) is original BKB1 later modified by Kasper (Witold Anton Kasprzyk) to BKB1-A by extending the tip reflex triangular area and enlarging the wing tip stabilizer and rudder/spoiler. There were possibly additional modifications to the seat to allow greater inflight adjustments to the CG for aerobatic maneuvers and deep stall demonstrations. A few videos are available. Fatal crash at Cannady Field East of Arlington WA. Any dates would be appreciated.

N2992G* (corrected below) is the Kasper redesign with increased span that did a majority of the airshow demonstrations. Most flights were from Len Emrick's airfield in Issaquah WA.

N ???? powered airplane was built to demonstrate the "Kasper Vortex Lift Theory". The airplane crashed at KAWO from a height of 20 to 50 feet on the first flight which was possibly intended to be a high speed taxi. The aircraft was not supposed to be flown until latter that day for a demonstration to the investors in the aircraft. The aircraft was never rebuilt and stayed in the possession of Kasper and protective heirs. Location of any surviving parts are unknown (?).

The above comments may have errors but this is my understanding from memory. Others are more reliable than me for details on airframes built after these three.

*Edit 10/05/2022 To correct with information from the links in post #2571 Concerning the 39 ft (11.9 m) wing span, 160 sq ft (15 m2)** BKB-1 that was later modified by Kasper by adding an additional triangular cord and reflexed wing area at the wing tip, higher tip fence/yaw stabilizer and wing tip spoiler area and removing nose weight to move CG aft and designating it the BKB-1A. with the red and white paint scheme. "It was registered as CF-ZDK-X in Canada, then N2991G in the USA.".

N1853 would be the new 50 foot span airframe designed and built by Whitold after the crash of N2991G and designated Bekas (or BEKAS-N per post # 2571 below).

** per Brochocki BKB-1 - Wikipedia "a light wing loading of just 3.81 lb/sq ft (18.6 kg/m2).[2][3]" and as the sole (modified) BKB-1A it was destroyed on 6 November 1971

Last edited:

henryk

There was a big war with lots of bombing and fires
=in 1939 Kasprzyk was aTeam Lider of polish glider team (WW2 destroy all !)

=in 1994 I was Team Lider of 5-th Microlight World Championship in Poznan (1-st place...)="blackbeard" !

Attachments

• 271218_poznan_1994.jpg
    271218_poznan_1994.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 0
  • Henryk_Doruch_01.jpg
    Henryk_Doruch_01.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 0

erkki67

The Wing of Mike combined with a sit on top of the reddish plank, U could live this layout.

Attachments

• 19804C41-914D-4E83-A08D-B9160CEFF9ED.jpeg
    19804C41-914D-4E83-A08D-B9160CEFF9ED.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 1931D2BA-E5F0-42E8-977D-D2D4FBBF744C.jpeg
    1931D2BA-E5F0-42E8-977D-D2D4FBBF744C.jpeg
    202.3 KB · Views: 0

speedracer

I believe I mis-spoke in Post # 2539 where I posted "The BKB1-A is a good example of a “Flying wing as cheap and simple option for basic fun flying.” The aircraft I was attempting to reference was the aircraft built in Toronto by the team referred to as BKB where the K was for Kasperick's contribution and the two Bs were for the other two contributors. I believe it was titled BEKAS when imported into the US. I would need to do more research to get all the Polish names and acronyms correct.

This aircraft is the source of the original "Kasper Wing" which Kasperick imported to Washington State. After modifying the wing tips and tip controls Kasperick did several airshows to demonstrate his characteristic tight loops that were actually a nose up tumble and amazingly short field landings (SL is STOL without the takeoff). This is the aircraft that had the wing structural failure attributed to the attempt by an airline pilot to do a negative tumble against the advise of several other pilots that had experience in the aircraft.

All of the following so called Kasper Wings were modified without input from the original designer. In my opinion attempts to improve the original design, with the possible exception of the modifications Kasperick made to the original example (or prototype), have compromised the original design. See my post #2535 on this list for comments on attempts to improve upon a good design intended for a specific design specification. The original design specification was to create an inexpensive, easy to build, safe training plane.

The first "B" is for the designer. His daughter Stephanie Brod....idcheck (no idea of proper spelling) has done considerable work to defend her dads design contribution which Kasperick has in general gotten credit for. The entire "Kasper Wing" and Kasperick history has a considerable amount of controversy about credit and blame that is questionable as to its validity.
I flew my hang glider at Dog Mountain WA in 70's and 80's and Steve Grossruck was a regular there flying his Kasperwing as a hang glider. It had about the same performance as hang gliders of that era. Then he put wheels and a motor on it and slipped over into the dark side.