Flying wing as cheap and simple option for basic fun flying.

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Mike W

Lovely, Mike, thanks for sharing. Will you be offering plans anytime soon?

And here is the video Mike mentioned.

The MW9 was built from sketches and developed as it progressed, so plans don't really exist.
I just decided in my 70's to build one last project and went for a more challenging minimum aircraft.
Thanks for displaying the YouTube video, I always have trouble with IT stuff.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
The MW9 was built from sketches and developed as it progressed, so plans don't really exist.
I just decided in my 70's to build one last project and went for a more challenging minimum aircraft.
Thanks for displaying the YouTube video, I always have trouble with IT stuff.

It seems like a wonderful little plane and it would be a shame if it were to end up as a one-off not available for others to build and enjoy in the future. I know it's a *lot* of work to put together a proper set of plans and builder's notes, but maybe there is someone in this group willing to lend a hand converting your sketches and notes into plans? I would certainly volunteer if I had the skills, but sadly I don't.

PS--That is to say that I don't have the skills for the drawings on paper or CAD. I do have quite a bit of writing and editing experience and I would be happy to volunteer as the editor of a builder's handbook.

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
It seems like a wonderful little plane and it would be a shame if it were to end up as a one-off not available for others to build and enjoy in the future. I know it's a *lot* of work to put together a proper set of plans and builder's notes, but maybe there is someone in this group willing to lend a hand converting your sketches and notes into plans?

See, now THAT is something you kinda need to discuss with addicted2climbing when you meet him in October!

Then, the two of you just sort of shuffle over and show up at Mr. Whitaker's home with a neat idea to discuss.......

rotax618

Mike’s planks and many of the other low powered or glider planks (Pelican, Marske, Fauvel etc) exhibit more than acceptable pitch stability. The Opal was built to break records and I believe the pitch became more divergent as speed increased and small control inputs at speed could cause abrupt changes in AoT, leading to excessive airframe loads. If you wish to build a copy of the Opel, with the same or greater performance, I suggest you build it a lot stronger and improve your reflexes and flying skills.

WINGITIS