Flying wing as cheap and simple option for basic fun flying.

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Norman

Twin RC turbo-jet powered hang-glider and paramotor....... great jet-sound!
What are the purchas price, TBO, and SFC of those things? Designing a flying wing around jet engines is simpler than designing around a piston engine and prop but the cost to build and cost to operate are much higher.

Fred C

Striplin Flac Flying Wing.....later known as Ranger Aviation of Bakersfield, Ca.
What ever happened to them?
Hi, Cruising around and saw this post. Have not heard of the Striplin FLAC in many moons, about 44. Screwy little plane. I saw it as the first model was fabricated, but not flown. Do not remember if an engine had been designed in it. Lots of foam. The skin was an ultra thin "plastic" ( fiberglass ? ) with sparkle metal flakes embedded for color. ( Did not really care for the process used to make the skin ).The hinges were typical hardware store type. Not an aircraft bolt to be seen. Now, at that time, the ultralites I knew of, were not using aircraft hardware anyway. My father had built an HP 16, finished in '74, ( google 'N8DC', a good build, as told by the men who bought it ) so I was pretty familiar in the ways of experimental construction. I saw the plane at one of Striplins selling seminars. Striplin was a character. Almost a designer, very close to being a flim flam man. Decided not to buy one. Aircraft was too new and untried. One of my better decisions. Hey, Thanks for bouncing me down memory lane.

Aeronut

Hello all, it's my first post so please be gentle...
Whilst reading up on flying wings here on the forum I have seen many references to the content of TWITT newsletters.
I'm guessing there would be a wealth of useful info within, is there a public access archive available?

Andrew (UK)

is there a public access archive available?

Andrew (UK)
Just did a quick search. Lots of sadness. The web site appears to be out of service and the Wayback Machine wasn't much help.

Maybe Norman
has some more info??

Link to one online copy of one of the newsletters that has some contact info that might be used to do a more in depth search for the data:

Last edited:

raumzeit

Twin RC turbo-jet powered hang-glider and paramotor....... great jet-sound!

What are the purchas price, TBO, and SFC of those things? Designing a flying wing around jet engines is simpler than designing around a piston engine and prop but the cost to build and cost to operate are much higher.
Those dual Jetcats are optimistically pushing 10kg static each; the pilot can't completely get even his floaty single-surface airborne with them. SFC is about 1 with RC jets like those at full-power and gets worse from there. Jetcats in that range with autostart probably about $4k a pop each. Need a $1k li-po back end for standalone starting/restarts.

Excepting the inner 8-year old love of awesome, pure gas-turbine jet propulsion is pointless under 200mph excepting some niches like sustainer-launcher sailplanes and RC models - which have a bit of crossover in their turbines actually.

For bigger man-rated motors like these stateside I'd probably check out PBS Aero PBS Aerospace - Supplier of propulsion systems.

that Jet-powered Hang Glider in the vid looks very imaginative...... so why not a similar powered Kasper Wing? Anyone done it yet?
Kerosene lovers would go for it!
There was a mid-80’s Kasperwing at Oshkosh ‘22, and she was really showing her age. I didn't spend enough time in “the Funzone” to see her fly, if she ever did.

Norman

Just did a quick search. Lots of sadness. The web site appears to be out of service and the Wayback Machine wasn't much help.

Maybe Norman
has some more info??

Link to one online copy of one of the newsletters that has some contact info that might be used to do a more in depth search for the data:
I'm afraid I don't know any more than you. I have all the paper newsletters back to the beginning except for the last few months. During the practice plague I lost track of some things and forgot to pay my dues so got unsubscribed for the last year. They had gone to a PDF subscription option a few years ago so there are a few dozen issues in digital format but I don't know how to get to those now. They were in a password protected part of the website. I did see that Radio Controlled Soaring Digest was interested in archiving the TWITT site a few months ago but no further action that I've heard. Hopefully RCSD can work something out since TWITT was one of the best

Last edited:
I have all the paper newsletters back to the beginning except for the last few months
I noticed this on the issue I linked:
twitt.jpg
I don't know if this was the policy for all of the issues but it does kind of leave us with a way to preserve and disseminate the information if the organization doesn't do a Phoenix imitation.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
ALSO, you can contact the Western US division of the Vintage Sailplane Association, Jeff Byard and/or one of his officers. This is not a "direct" connection, but if my memory serves, many of the local vintage sailplane owners in this region (Southern California) are or were also participants in TWITT.

ALSO if you can find Harald Buettner at PreComTec composites in Tehachapi, California, he may still be in touch with the remaining parts of the TWITT group. Harald was part of that group in San Diego "back in the day", and has designed several tailless concepts, Horten derivative sailplane ideas, etc. Again not a "direct" connection to whatever TWITT is now, but a reasonable starting point.

If you have not lready done so, I strongly watching the youtube and other online videos of presentations by Albion Bowers on the Horten flying wings and Al's tremendous efforts bringing back Ludwig Prandtl's work in wing twist back into favor. A large maount of Al's work is centered around flying wings, Horten, etc. etc.

Aeronut

Thanks Victor Bravo,

I'm hopeful that the collection can somehow be shared.
I am aware of the Al Bowers leactures but have not watched yet, I will certainly do so...

I have to admit to being specifically interested in planks and have been reading up on anything I can find. Lots of useful stuff here on the forum, thanks to everyone here for that. Feels like there is generally less info out there on planks vs swept configurations - or maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

I have a copy of Nickel & Wohlfahrt (more plank coverage would have been nice).
The Jim Marske books are my next stop.

Norman

Thanks Victor Bravo,

I'm hopeful that the collection can somehow be shared.
I am aware of the Al Bowers leactures but have not watched yet, I will certainly do so...

I have to admit to being specifically interested in planks and have been reading up on anything I can find. Lots of useful stuff here on the forum, thanks to everyone here for that. Feels like there is generally less info out there on planks vs swept configurations - or maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

I have a copy of Nickel & Wohlfahrt (more plank coverage would have been nice).
The Jim Marske books are my next stop.
Here's a tapered plank based upon the BSLD span loading. There was some uncertainty as to whether it would work without sweep. Now we know:

Last edited: