Flying on a Flat Earth

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
I’ve flown across south Texas…
I believe in flat Earth.
Way better than driving across it, especially the western half. Did that numerous times during my military career. The guys in El Paso were fond of telling me I was closer to the Pacific Ocean than I was to the other side of Texas. Might be somewhat boring flying it, but better than doing it in my car.

challenger_II

You were traveling in the wrong direction! Go north, on US 83, from Kansas, to SD. Miles n miles, of nothing but miles and miles, as far as you can see, out front, and in the rear-view mirror: until, SUDDENLY! The highway drops out from under you, the pavement makes an abrupt left turn. Then, at the stop light, you turn right, back on 83. Then, you travel up this little incline, and you are back on top. Within a mile, heading north, you can't even tell there was a town there! Welcome to Valentine, NE! :)

Seriously, though...
Here, a few years back, a pard and me had to go nearly to the North Pole (Edgely, ND) for work related matters. We left out of Sweetwater Texas, at 1pm, and made it to the Oklahoma boarder (in the Panhandle of OK, no less) by sunset. My pard crashed in the passenger seat, and I drove all night. At daylight, he woke up (we were in central SD, by this time). His first waking comment was "Did you fall asleep? We're still in Oklahoma!"

I swear, from Spearman, Tx, to Winnipeg, CA (other than that dipsy doodle at Valentine!), the terrain changes hardly at all! But, the pheasant population increases, substantially! :)

Bah! Nebraska concrete expressways. Forever, with rhythmic thumps. ( expansion joints )

Highway games... Find a song and speed that syncs. Just take my word for it and avoid Dragonforce.

PMD

You were traveling in the wrong direction! Go north, on US 83, from Kansas, to SD. Miles n miles, of nothing but miles and miles, as far as you can see, out front, and in the rear-view mirror:
Not sure if you are aware, but 83 is known as the "mid-continent route". It runs through both countries with the same name/number. The North end is at Swan River MB and the South end is at Brownsville TX bridge into Mexico. Other than a few small exceptions, the whole thing is pretty much flat going downhill at about the same rate the the Mighty Miss. As you imply: one good trip from end-to-end would make ANYONE want to join the FES (Flat Earth Society for those who didn't know).

challenger_II

And, I can honestly say, I have driven every mile from the border at Brown Town, all the way to Winnipeg. However, not on the same trip! :)

Not sure if you are aware, but 83 is known as the "mid-continent route". It runs through both countries with the same name/number. The North end is at Swan River MB and the South end is at Brownsville TX bridge into Mexico. Other than a few small exceptions, the whole thing is pretty much flat going downhill at about the same rate the the Mighty Miss. As you imply: one good trip from end-to-end would make ANYONE want to join the FES (Flat Earth Society for those who didn't know).

Aesquire

Iceland brags they have no venomous critters and stinging insects. Aussies laugh.

I discovered I could jump over 3 meters from a standing start when I went into the woods to relieve myself of excess fluid before takeoff at Harriet Hollister State Park, and heard the distinctive sound of an Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake. At my feet. No harm, no foul. Diamondbacks consider Cobras to be sluggish and trusting.

The genetic science guys want to bring back the Mammoth. Them's good eating! ( extinct because we ate them all ) But no one seems interested in restoring the Terror Birds to the Southwest U.S. Insert here political joke about Darwin & California.

Birds like an Emu ( which defeated an Army with machine guns! ) on steroids that considers saber tooth tigers an easy lunch. Did I mention 12 feet tall? Faster than a Cheetah.

PMD

And, I can honestly say, I have driven every mile from the border at Brown Town, all the way to Winnipeg. However, not on the same trip! :)
In the tedium of the drive, you got off of 83 somewhere. It crosses on the other (West) side of MB and ND going North from Minot ND to Virden MB then almost right along the MB/SK border up to Swan River. You probably came up the Interstate from Fargo.

challenger_II

Haven't been to Fargo. That's east of Valley City by a ways. On one trip, I spent a weekend at Gettysburg, SD, pheasant hunting at my Boss's uncle's place, then traipsed on north. On this occasion, I did scoot east, to Edgely, ND. However, on my junket to Valley City, one bored weekend, I decided to go finish-out driving north on 83. So, yah: as I said, I didn't drive 83 from border to border in the same trip, but I have driven every mile of it. Border to border, any way. I may have gotten lost, and found my self drinking Moose Head, in Winnipeg... Stranger things have happened! :)