Flying on a Flat Earth

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Bill-Higdon

As to the gyro question, panel instruments have a built in correction mechanism, and INS systems use a Schuler loop. I remember a fighting with a LN-12 system that had an intermittent failure in it's Schuler loop mechanism. For those who don't know the LN-12 it was an analog INS. The good news was I fixed it & the bad news Uncle Sam "made bank" on my over time for that fix.

Aesquire

Born in Nebraska and lived in South Dakota. Both so flat you can see the curvature of the Earth.

I was at Media Play bookstore ( dates this ) and a UFO book author was signing copies.

I politely waited until no one was nearby, then stepped up to chat. Asked to see new book. Flipping through, started calling out pictures, "Lenticular cloud, porch light, lenticular cloud, kitchen lamp, lennie, lennie, ooh! Sun dog! Cool! Lennie, Mammatus cloud, DC-8, lennie, weather balloon, frisbee moonlighter, 149 grams, lennie...." .

When the author objected and questioned my qualifications, I told him I was a hang glider pilot, knew these clouds close up, and, in fact, Was a UFO.

Aesquire

Analog magazine has published some of the great stories ever written. Asimov's Foundation series, Herbert's Dune, Anvil's Space Patrol, Doc E.E. Smith's Lensman....

And an obscure short that may be the Truth about Roswell.

U.S. Air force experimental high altitude balloon capsule to test space suits, with chimpanzees. But the suits wouldn't fit with all the hair, so they shaved the chimps, and greased them to put the suits on. Capsule crashed near road, grey, greasy, chimps escaped, witnesses... To prevent becoming a laughingstock, the Air Force denies the "weather balloon" was at all unusual and deliberately let the Aliens rumors be spread.

challenger_II

" Most perfectly good arguments are screwed up by some one that knows what they are talking about"... :)

Born in Nebraska and lived in South Dakota. Both so flat you can see the curvature of the Earth.

I was at Media Play bookstore ( dates this ) and a UFO book author was signing copies.

I politely waited until no one was nearby, then stepped up to chat. Asked to see new book. Flipping through, started calling out pictures, "Lenticular cloud, porch light, lenticular cloud, kitchen lamp, lennie, lennie, ooh! Sun dog! Cool! Lennie, Mammatus cloud, DC-8, lennie, weather balloon, frisbee moonlighter, 149 grams, lennie...." .

When the author objected and questioned my qualifications, I told him I was a hang glider pilot, knew these clouds close up, and, in fact, Was a UFO.

Daleandee

And an obscure short that may be the Truth about Roswell.

U.S. Air force experimental high altitude balloon capsule to test space suits, with chimpanzees. But the suits wouldn't fit with all the hair, so they shaved the chimps, and greased them to put the suits on. Capsule crashed near road, grey, greasy, chimps escaped, witnesses... To prevent becoming a laughingstock, the Air Force denies the "weather balloon" was at all unusual and deliberately let the Aliens rumors be spread.
If that's not the truth it is really funny!

If it is the truth it's even more funny ...

Grey, greasy, shaved, chimps ... :fear:

Aesquire

Oh, it's science fiction, presented as such in a magazine that does articles on the latest technology, hard, real science, and the best of SF.

But... If you wanted to discredit a "conspiracy theory" the slickest way is to publish nearly the truth, as fiction. So for the rest of time, anyone who claims Roswell was an embarrassing incident will be told they got it from a science fiction story, and then no one will believe them.

Look at The Stand. Biowar virus escapes from a lab. Now no one would believe that kind of thing. Or ET, silly kid story, Aliens never visited! Or all those paranoid government watching thrillers....

Oh. Dang.

challenger_II

Or, "Dianetics"... :)

Oh, it's science fiction, presented as such in a magazine that does articles on the latest technology, hard, real science, and the best of SF.

But... If you wanted to discredit a "conspiracy theory" the slickest way is to publish nearly the truth, as fiction. So for the rest of time, anyone who claims Roswell was an embarrassing incident will be told they got it from a science fiction story, and then no one will believe them.

Look at The Stand. Biowar virus escapes from a lab. Now no one would believe that kind of thing. Or ET, silly kid story, Aliens never visited! Or all those paranoid government watching thrillers....

Oh. Dang.

Norman

HBA Supporter
Surfaces of objects in 3 dimensional space are 2 dimensional, in a sense "flat". A dust mite crawling on your skin perceives a flat surface but the curvature is obvious to you simply because of your perspective. If this were a hyper-intelligent mite, and we could somehow communicate with it, we could teach it that the surface it lives on is in fact curved but as it is the closed curvature of the surfaces of objects in 3D space is just too esoteric a concept for a dust mite... some people too apparently.

I've been thinking a lot about surfaces of objects in higher dimensional space lately. The surfaces of 4 dimensional objects would be 3 dimensional which means we and everything we can observe could in fact be just the surfaces of 4 dimensional objects, which leads me to this question: Am I a tattoo on God's ass?

Sometimes I envy animals with smaller brains. They can't overthink things. Or can they?

Bill-Higdon

Surfaces of objects in 3 dimensional space are 2 dimensional, in a sense "flat". A dust mite crawling on your skin perceives a flat surface but the curvature is obvious to you simply because of your perspective. If this were a hyper-intelligent mite, and we could somehow communicate with it, we could teach it that the surface it lives on is in fact curved but as it is the closed curvature of the surfaces of objects in 3D space is just too esoteric a concept for a dust mite... some people too apparently.

I've been thinking a lot about surfaces of objects in higher dimensional space lately. The surfaces of 4 dimensional objects would be 3 dimensional which means we and everything we can observe could in fact be just the surfaces of 4 dimensional objects, which leads me to this question: Am I a tattoo on God's ass?

Sometimes I envy animals with smaller brains. They can't overthink things. Or can they?
Shades of "Flat Land:

Aesquire

Bah! Nebraska concrete expressways. Forever, with rhythmic thumps. ( expansion joints )

Highway games... Find a song and speed that syncs. Just take my word for it and avoid Dragonforce.