Flying on a Flat Earth

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Aerowerx

Things were really slow at work last night, so I was poking around on my smart phone. Suddenly I found myself on a Flat Earth conspiracy web site....

It was actually quite entertaining, from a comical view point.

One of the arguments was that, if the earth was round and you were flying "straight and level" you would very soon end up in space as the earth dropped further below you. If the earth was round, then the pilot would be constantly dipping the nose to maintain the same altitude. Since you don't see this happening, the earth must be flat.

Although one person did mention flying by a pressure altimeter, they completely missed an important point: A pilot (or autopilot) is constantly making small corrections to maintain altitude by the altimeter. The corrections are so small that even the pilot may not be aware of them.

Another argument...If you flew, for example, from the USA to Australia, when you arrived in Sidney your gyroscope would show that you were upside down, since gyros always point in the same direction in space. Since this doesn't happen the earth must be flat.

But as I understand it, there is something in the gyro that lets it know where the ground is at all times.

cheapracer

Log Member
What did they say happened to an airplane that flew across the edge /end of the flat Earth?

BJC
The argument for that, as most of their positions on the subject and evidence, is brilliant.

Instead of taking it as a bunch of loonies, you guys should be entertained by one of the best debating teams you will ever come across, if not the best.

Aerowerx

What did they say happened to an airplane that flew across the edge /end of the flat Earth?
Oh, that is easy! There is a multinational government conspiracy that forces the avionics companies to build the instruments so that it seems like you are on a globe, preventing that from happening.

Besides, Antarctica is the edge. No body goes there anyway, and all the ice keeps the oceans from falling off.

Hey, I didn't make this stuff up. They did!

BJC

HBA Supporter
Oh, that is easy! There is a multinational government conspiracy that forces the avionics companies to build the instruments so that it seems like you are on a globe, preventing that from happening.

Besides, Antarctica is the edge. No body goes there anyway, and all the ice keeps the oceans from falling off.

Hey, I didn't make this stuff up. They did!
Well, if I just look at what is happening in this nation, I'm not surprised.

If that site is not just a "spoofs are us" site, it is a sad situation.

Was talking to an Aussie * last year on a cruise with very few USA citizens aboard. He, quite seriously, asked me if I believed that we really had put men on the moon in the Apollo program. He said that he believed that it was faked. We talked for, perhaps, twenty five minutes before I posited the following. The USA and the USSR were in the midsts of the cold war and the space race. If Apollo had been faked, the USSR had the technology to totally discredit the USA, but they did not, because it was not faked. He admitted that neither he, nor his acquaintances who also believed that Apollo was faked, had considered that.

I know that it was not faked, because of the dramatic change in the weather since we left all that junk on the moon.

* Fairly certain that it was not CR

BJC

Aerowerx

Well, BJC, by the same argument...

If there really was "a multinational government conspiracy that forces the avionics companies to build the instruments so that it seems like you are on a globe", wouldn't the same thing happen? Some country would try to discredit the USA and release the evidence of the cover-up.

Oh, wait! The UN is in on it. :grin:

The UN logo with Antarctica along the outside edge:
un-logo1.png

Reactions: BJC

FritzW

Log Member
Edge of the Earth.jpg ...how much more proof do you need

I have this poster hanging in the guest bathroom. It sparks some interesting conversations. Most folks are more concerned that the life boat from 500 years ago has an outboard motor than they are about a flat Earth :gig:

Autodidact

But the Earth is flat. It's just that the laws of physics dictate that the mass of a one-sided pancake is so great that it bends space so that everything appears to be round - but only from far away; when your on the earth, it's as flat as can be...

Dan Thomas

But as I understand it, there is something in the gyro that lets it know where the ground is at all times.

yUQLB.jpg

This system is very slow-acting. That's why it might take a minute or two to erect the gyro after startup. If you do a sustained steep turn for a couple of minutes you will find the gyro leaning a little bit toward the turn after you recover from it. The G-forces in the turn fool the pendulous vanes.

cheapracer

Log Member
View attachment 65550 ...how much more proof do you need

I have this poster hanging in the guest bathroom.
You have obviously never seen a Flat Earther's map or their reasoning of their maps, it is nothing like that assumption.

Suggested reading and related to the forum, is their argument for International flight routes. As I said, they are actually very clever people who put up methodical evidence.

I have had great times in the past on Facebook pretending to being a Flat Earther using their arguments to stump people, I may have even converted some :roll:

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
I learned to fly in Alaska and am apparently spoiled. Because flying on a flat Earth just doesn't interest me.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
It has to be flat, if it was round I would be flying down hill all the time just to hold altitude.

:)

PagoBay

Surrendering life-long beliefs in the face of contrary evidence is the hardest thing. Where the belief is based on all things unproveable there is no reason the abandon those ideas.

SO... what will the dedicated Flat Earther do when they could pool their money and send anyone of their choice to see the fact?

Hint... One flat earther was asked to come to see the International Space Station through a telescope at a home astronomers' house. He replied: "Why should I try to see something that is not there?"

Dantilla

He, quite seriously, asked me if I believed that we really had put men on the moon in the Apollo program. He said that he believed that it was faked. We talked for, perhaps, twenty five minutes before I posited the following. The USA and the USSR were in the midsts of the cold war and the space race. If Apollo had been faked, the USSR had the technology to totally discredit the USA, but they did not, because it was not faked.
In order to fool the Russians, the government hired Stanley Kubrick to stage the fake lunar landing, as he was such a stickler for getting the details right.

He was such a stickler that he insisted it be shot on location.

Daleandee

If the earth is flat (that is some pretty convincing argument they have BTW) then what's on the other side? How do I get to the other side?

Wait ... I believe I hear the voice of Rod Sterling ... :popcorn: