• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Flying on a Flat Earth

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerowerx

Things were really slow at work last night, so I was poking around on my smart phone. Suddenly I found myself on a Flat Earth conspiracy web site....

It was actually quite entertaining, from a comical view point.

One of the arguments was that, if the earth was round and you were flying "straight and level" you would very soon end up in space as the earth dropped further below you. If the earth was round, then the pilot would be constantly dipping the nose to maintain the same altitude. Since you don't see this happening, the earth must be flat.

Although one person did mention flying by a pressure altimeter, they completely missed an important point: A pilot (or autopilot) is constantly making small corrections to maintain altitude by the altimeter. The corrections are so small that even the pilot may not be aware of them.

Another argument...If you flew, for example, from the USA to Australia, when you arrived in Sidney your gyroscope would show that you were upside down, since gyros always point in the same direction in space. Since this doesn't happen the earth must be flat.

But as I understand it, there is something in the gyro that lets it know where the ground is at all times.

Back