Quantcast

Flying off your own place in Florida

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

samyguy

Hi; I'm looking to move to Florida, Santa Rosa county. western pan handle.
I have found 10 acres, 1300" long and flat, Zoned for a Agriculture grazing.
Is it legal to fly off your own place? do you have get permits? or just do it, like in Nebr., ?
Not inside any Halo.
Or who would I get a whole of, I fly ultralights.

thanks Calvin

samyguy

I was hoping for some first hand experience.
If I wanted to register it as a airstrip, it needs county approval.
In Nebr. if you only use it for your self, you don't need to register it as a airstrip.
Kind of like riding your dirtbike or gokart on your property, you don't need to register as a racetrack.
Anyone live down in Florida?

Turd Ferguson

Call the county commisssioner’s office and ask. Any county is free to make their own ordinances so what’s true in on FL county may not be true in another.

In my county and state the require “x” number of takeoffs and landings per yr. To show you how senselesss that is, guess who reports how many takeoffs and landings occurred?

BJC

HBA Supporter
AFAIK, you may fly an ultralight from your own land, as long as there are no zoning restrictions that preclude it. Always check for nuisance noise ordinances.

The area that you mentioned is a high traffic area full of controlled airspace and restricted areas, so be aware of those.

BJC

samyguy

BJC very true about the high traffic area, I checked the sectional for this area. I'm in a small open spot.
I read Fred's link to the county but I think I'll call, good suggestion.
FlyingGgators I'll check that too, better than flying piggs in Nebr.

thanks calvin

Rockiedog2

I think I would check with the neighbors before purchase.
Nowadays gotta assume that's a potential problem. And the likely answer to a neighborly inquiry is NO. Now what?
I've had neighbor problems and have been able to handle that by closing my strip to the public and flying a certain pattern in and out and noise abatement departure; clear the trees and drag it back to the min required to stay in the air til get out a ways. It's always on my mind...too many are so easily offended and frightened and private airstrips most always lose. Decades ago Beckett did a low high speed pass in his Pitts right across the top of the neighbor's house(they built it there after the strip had been about 5 years); had the smoke going and turned up about 3600, the tips were howling. Neighbor had a big chitlin fry goin in the yard and lost it all...everybody's nerves went out on em and they went home. Robert was over here in 5 minutes and said I gotta live with that woman something's gotta be done. He had big politics goin for him. I closed the strip that day and put the word out and no more problems since. Great neighbors.
So moral is don't let your Pitts buddies do a low pass over your strip. And sometimes they do it anyway.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
An electric or silent gas powered VTOL that goes straight up vertically to 1500 feet over the home property, might be the solution to flying off your own place.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
An electric or silent gas powered VTOL that goes straight up vertically to 1500 feet over the home property, might be the solution to flying off your own place.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Silent launch, no airport needed. Problem solved. Might also have third-world naval applications.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Nowadays gotta assume that's a potential problem. And the likely answer to a neighborly inquiry is NO. Now what?
I've had neighbor problems and have been able to handle that by closing my strip to the public and flying a certain pattern in and out and noise abatement departure; clear the trees and drag it back to the min required to stay in the air til get out a ways. It's always on my mind...too many are so easily offended and frightened and private airstrips most always lose. Decades ago Beckett did a low high speed pass in his Pitts right across the top of the neighbor's house(they built it there after the strip had been about 5 years); had the smoke going and turned up about 3600, the tips were howling. Neighbor had a big chitlin fry goin in the yard and lost it all...everybody's nerves went out on em and they went home. Robert was over here in 5 minutes and said I gotta live with that woman something's gotta be done. He had big politics goin for him. I closed the strip that day and put the word out and no more problems since. Great neighbors.
So moral is don't let your Pitts buddies do a low pass over your strip. And sometimes they do it anyway.
In this county of 5808 people without a stop light there is no ordinances for anything. We had a problem with one neighbor at the side of the NW end of the runway. At that time there were about 100 large oak trees and the runway was shorter and some people had to go over on the neighbors side of the runway to clear the trees and he would get upset. One day he came over and complained, so we took him for an airplane ride and showed him the reason sometimes an airplane would come over near his house while climbing out. After that, he said that if he wasn't so old he would like to take flying lessons. Then a couple years latter he sold us land to extend the runway 550' and we were able to cut all the trees out of our way to make it a much safer airport. Had a local logger cut the trees and advertised free firewood , you cut up and haul away, it was cleaned up in a few weeks and all we had to do is get rid of the stumps. Had free use of "Big Red " dozer and rented a track hoe and dug the stumps out and burned stumps all winter and filled holes and graded and installed drainage for the runway extension.

We have had C-130's do low passes but no complaints.

Last edited:

pwood66889

FlyingGators I'll check that too, better than flying piggs in Nebr.
thanks calvin
We got ferel hogs east of that spot in Wakulla County, Calvin.
A guy at 2J0 is talking about putting a private strip on his place and I'll chat it up with him the next time we get together.

samyguy

That would be great!! Right now I'm working on making a offer, foreclosure sale.
So time is short for me.

thankyou pwood

calvin

pwood66889

That would be great!!
thankyou pwood
calvin
Shux, Calvin. Guy's field was "already there" so I guess I can't recommend anything outside of the Florida DOT. But do notify me when you get into the neighborhood.
Had a guy fly his Rans in to Wakulla today. He likes this sea food restaurant a mile or so away. Also the guy with the Drifter and a trike flew both today. Drop By!
Percy

tommytom

Its always best to ask for forgiveness rather than permission. Be courteous by choosing your departure patterns and approach patterns so not to irritate anyone. If they complain- offer to take them flying. If you're not breaking any FAA rules- be polite, but stand your ground. Flying Ag- I'm very experienced with dealing with complaints. Asking permission will almost always result in a negative answer. Stick to the rules- fly safe... its hard for anyone to complain when you're doing it by the book. (edit:- of course I'm not the one investing so its easy for me to say.) I just know when you ask permission- it puts that person on the hook. If anything goes wrong- they were the one, that gave you the "ok"... so its always easier for a person to just say no- even when unwarranted.

Last edited: