Flying Ladders?

Discussion in 'The light stuff area' started by Cy V, Dec 17, 2009.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 10, 2011 #61

inventing_man

inventing_man

inventing_man

Depends on span. But for a "normal" UL wing length and By itself ? , no . You will need fly wires , or "guy" wires Just as a tall tower needs Guy wires or a hang glider . Or maybe wing Struts .

2. Nov 1, 2012 #62

georgeinokla

georgeinokla

georgeinokla

Two 16' ladders, simple ribless (2 hat-sections to form airfoil), 2' chord, 200lb plus 150 pilot, flew @ 55. Homemade oak prop unfortunately pitched for about 55 max. Poteau, Okla airport 30+ years ago. just for fun.

3. Nov 2, 2012 #63

roverjohn

roverjohn

roverjohn

These guys seem to be doing a lot with the Flea concept.
    Fraser Aero technology Company
    Mostly heavier than 103 types but they do mention doing the calculations on one.

4. Nov 2, 2012 #64

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I've yet to see a Flea/Horton hybrid (flying wingS???)

5. Sep 13, 2013 #65

buzzypeterson

buzzypeterson

buzzypeterson

I recomend checking out mignets book on the flea, I think it was call "how I built the flea" or something like that, extremely interesting read! you can get it online on ebay... it's more of a story than construction instructions. The guy wasn't allowed to go to airports to test his plane so he had to fold the wings and pull his prototype to the countryside in France with his motorcycle while his wife was in the side car. they camped outside for a year, even in the freezing winter. Anyway I think it was his 3rd model that finally flew under control. Sorry for the rambling but get the book, you won't regret it and it explains all of his ideas in common sense easy to follow language.

6. Sep 13, 2013 #66

msogren

msogren

msogren

GRETCHEN par Mike OGREN My plane.. Ladders for spars.
    Built the entire thing naked, stressed it up to about 5G hung from the rafters at each rung. Just the front wing as it takes around 68% of the loads. It was very clear that the barn would come down before the wings went up.

No I did not do a lift bucket test. each rib /rung had about the same load. . I did not test the rear wing as it is clearly under any limits, flying at around 180# total load.

The Pouchel planes are made with box section ladders, Euro only for what I can tell. The USA ladders are I beam section. Not as nice to work with or as stiff. That resulted in the lift struts used, and the split front wing. Idid not trust the ladder over the 21ft span unstruted. may have been fine, but never considered it. I like strong stuff.

The ladders are perfect for short span UL. Drag resistance and torque resistance is built in. Each Rung holds one rib.
    Over the 200 hrs some washout showed up as the wings took a tiny twist. Weight of the wing is about 1.8# per ft @ 52in chord.

I am looking for the box section ladders for my next flying boat , same planform MOL. adding a lower spray, tip float short wing section.
    I had lots of call for plans as it flies really well. for 35hp and 54inprop. TO about 130ft or under, 800-1000 FPM. Spot landing and very safe to fly. Push power, pull pitch, it leaves when ready- cant departure stall it .

As with anything, do some research and testing .