• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Flying Experimental Airplane Around The World

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaydayMayday

I have a friend who is considering flying a EAB around the world. He has already reached the conceptual stage where he is mentally designing extended fuel tanks.

This sounds like fun and I am (kinda) interested in joining in on the fun...however...lots and lots to think about.

I already searched YouTube for "How To Fly Your EAB Around The World" however it did not produce too many videos...

At this point we are just playing with toying with the idea...

Naturally this flight is not going to happen non-stop (unless we fly to the North Pole and then fly circles around it) so the questions we have are...

-With respect to regulatory concerns, all states around the world are different, how do we determine what states will allow a landing and then a departure with some kind of dispensation?

-We hear Western Ukraine makes for a nice stop for breakfast... (sorry...just joking)

-Seriously there are a number of places that we do not want to visit. We can visit the US State Department or the International NOTAM site however if anyone has already done this some advice would be good to hear.

-It would be good to partner with an international trip planning group. There are lots of these for business aviation. Does anyone know of one who would like to take on a "different" project like this?

-Overflying cold bodies of water is a concern. I have read where people don dry suits for these types of legs. Where does one procure these suits?

-The only "real" flying around the world is to do it at the equator...unlike others who just fly around the mid latitudes...so the equator flight would make for the most "real" circumnavigation trip and that would also make for the most "real hard" trip. Lots of nice places where they want to shoot you down and/or where you can splash down in...

-Any other advice or experience would be appreciated.

Yes lots of concerns however it would be an interesting trip to ink in the old computer pilot logbook...

Thanks for the information!!!

Back