Quantcast

Flying Car ?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Dusan

What you are describing is not a flying car, it is a flying taxi
For sure I'm not describing just an flying taxi. I'm envisioning the aircraft of my dreams something similar to this concept:ADR-1_img_1.png
ADR-1, from : Aliptera

When manufactured and commercialized, people will be able to buy one, and hopefully able to take-off and land anywhere(within limits) and not to vertiports accessible only to a few operators as envisioned by Uber. Good point for congestion on Uber vertiports. I totally agree with "a flying car is about the ability to go where you want, when you want in a personally owned vehicle", but you cannot do it currently. You cannot legally land at a grocery store in a parking lot.

This is exactly the reason why Cessna 172's have low valid uses; they need to land at an airstrip, local airport, and most local airports are in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do. There are airpark communities where you can taxi your airplane from your driveway to the runway, not sure if they have grocery stores as well, but those communities are very restricted and few, and not to mention that placing a runway at every grocery store doesn't make much sense as runways are occupying too much space. This is where a personal VTOL aircraft will come in handy as a vertipad is occupying much less space.

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
There is a flying car, it's called the Maverick. It might not be what you envisioned, but it is a self contained, roadable, flying car that you can buy now.

I know one person that did leave a fly in and go to the grocery store to get ice in a Robinson R-22. Total trip took less than 15 minutes, which meant he landed in the parking lot, got out, bought several bags of ice, loaded and took off without explaining it to anyone.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I used to make pizza runs in my Falconar F-12. Take off from my field and land 8 miles away in a grass field within a short walking distance to the center of town. I would call in a pizza order and have it delivered at the end of the grass runway. ( I will be waiting in a white with brown and orange trim tail dragger airplane at the end of Scott street ). First time they thought it was a joke. After that, it was just a couple minutes of waiting. I was always ask, why the F-12 smelled like Pizza. :) Also would fly in and get a load of chicken at a near by Wal-Mart when we had our fly-in/drive in cookouts 2 times a year. About 200 people would show up. Airplane full of fried chicken.
A few miles just across the Ohio river was another grass runway that ran parallel to the main shopping street in town. There was street sign by the Mc Donalds at the end of the runway that said "Watch out for low flying aircraft". Fly in and do shopping for about anything you wanted.

Both runways was shut down when the owners died and the family sold the land to developers. :(

Last edited:

WBNH

I'm in NH, and Terrefugia...before the sale...used to test their roadable at Pease, the former AFB next to my place...was fun to watch...but I never anticipated they would sell any. Then they sold the company.

Live Free or Die is taken seriously...I'm sure we'll be the last state in the land to have a motorcycle helmet law for adults.

Daleandee

Live Free or Die is taken seriously...I'm sure we'll be the last state in the land to have a motorcycle helmet law for adults.
Well ... this state does not have a universal helmet law but riders and passengers under 21 are required to wear a helmet. I've always wore one but when I met my wife she insisted that it was the law. I said, "no it's not." She replied, "Yes it is! It's called "Deanna's Law!""

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Well, all joking aside, New Hampshire occupies a special place in my own personal aviation history for two reasons....

My grandfather did his initial U.S. Navy flight training in a Piper J-3 Cub (sometimes on skis) at a private flight school in Keene during WWII. He went on to fly a PBY Catalina over the North Atlantic.

And my first ride in a small plane was strapped in with my Dad in the front cockpit of a biplane at the little airport in North Conway. Mid-1970s so I must have been eight or so. I still have a “selfie” (before that was a word) of the two of us taken with an old Kodak 110.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Well, all joking aside, New Hampshire occupies a special place in my own personal aviation history for two reasons....

My grandfather did his initial U.S. Navy flight training in a Piper J-3 Cub (sometimes on skis) at a private flight school in Keene during WWII. He went on to fly a PBY Catalina over the North Atlantic.

And my first ride in a small plane was strapped in with my Dad in the front cockpit of a biplane at the little airport in North Conway. Mid-1970s so I must have been eight or so. I still have a “selfie” (before that was a word) of the two of us taken with an old Kodak 110.
My grandson managed to get some PBY flying time.