Flying Bike Progress

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

radfordc

Good job on the fabrication, but poor marks for design. After you find out that this one is much too heavy to actually fly here's a suggestion for the "Mark II" model. Get rid of all the controls (aileron, elevator, etc) you won't fly far enough to need them and they add unnecessary weight. Redesign the lifting surfaces with lots of dihedral and highly undercambered airfoils to maximize lift at low airspeed. Look at how Lillienthal and the other early pioneers did it...after all you are basically doing the same thing. But also remember how most of them ended. I'll bet you can get some air under the tires.

TheFlyingBikeGuy

Good job on the fabrication, but poor marks for design. After you find out that this one is much too heavy to actually fly here's a suggestion for the "Mark II" model. Get rid of all the controls (aileron, elevator, etc) you won't fly far enough to need them and they add unnecessary weight. Redesign the lifting surfaces with lots of dihedral and highly undercambered airfoils to maximize lift at low airspeed. Look at how Lillienthal and the other early pioneers did it...after all you are basically doing the same thing. But also remember how most of them ended. I'll bet you can get some air under the tires.
Thanks for the tip. I was hoping to get some speed up on flat terrain, pop the flaps in the front and back and fix what breaks,,,;) I have some nice NACA 4412 wing ribs I will used for Mark II. All up she's pretty light. 50lbs-ish
I will add a pitot tube as well to get a sense for how draggy I am.

I will be wearing full BMX protective gear and will be better off safety wise than when I trained in a Schwietzer 233. Single parent as well so, don't want to mess that up:)

Thanks again.
Paz

henryk

Look at how Lillienthal and the other early pioneers did it...

=big mistace=NOT autostabil airfoils=horisontal tail works as aerodynamic brake !

PS=polish sculptor Jan Wnenk (1866-69) from Otporyszow

was made wooden/clotsh wing "LOTA" whitch was flying on 1-4 km distances !
(after vertical dive from 40 m tower...)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-10-10 images (obraz JPEG, 259×194 pikseli) (2).png
    Screenshot_2020-10-10 images (obraz JPEG, 259×194 pikseli) (2).png
    518.8 KB · Views: 0

TheFlyingBikeGuy

Thank you for that info on the muskelkraft flugzeuge. Fascinating. Some of those aircraft I had not seen before. Lots of wunderbar flugzeugen...

Wish my german was better.

henryk

Thank you for that info on the muskelkraft flugzeuge. Fascinating. Some of those aircraft I had not seen before. Lots of wunderbar flugzeugen...

Wish my german was better.
=Toporovs works was much better (thanks help young children !)

=кушайте на здоровие ...

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
better off safety wise than when I trained in a Schwietzer 233. Single parent as well so, don't want to mess that up:)
How can you possibly be better off with padded bike clothing, compared to the welded steel cage and low stall speed of the 2-33?

Those of us who trained in the 2-33 want to have a word with you about that...

an-angry-mob-holding-torches-in-a-still-from-the-film-frankenstein-picture-id2014797

TheFlyingBikeGuy

How can you possibly be better off with padded bike clothing, compared to the welded steel cage and low stall speed of the 2-33?

Those of us who trained in the 2-33 want to have a word with you about that...

an-angry-mob-holding-torches-in-a-still-from-the-film-frankenstein-picture-id2014797
There was a crush fracture of a spine during a student landing in the airport I flew from. Student never walked agin. BMX riders land standing and I do think a helmet and HANS system will help me more than the floppy hat glider pilots wear.

Edit, btw, loved the 2-33 more than the fancy glass I flew a few times...Could thermal way tighter. So didnt mean to upset anyone.

Edit 2: NTSB Reports -2001
Lots of compression fractures here. Can't find the 2-33 incident I was told of but I was told the 2-33 survived without a scratch.

Last edited:

TFF

If you do get going, you will understand center of gravity first hand. You probably need to be playing with these guys.

Tiger Tim

Neat! I can’t begin to describe how much I would have wanted this as a kid.

As an adult, a couple things spring to mind: first I’d find a long hill to test it on. No sense in getting exhausted in between the thousand little tweaks you’ll no doubt have to make. Second, I’d expect to have to reduce the angle of incidence of the whole affair down to zero for easiest pedaling, but that can come through trial and error.

TheFlyingBikeGuy

Thank you. My 7 year old is too light for this and he's more cautious than I am. But a flying bike is def fantastical. And, Yes. AoA of these wings will need to be tweaked. Things go together and come apart fast. So thats designed in. Here is a photo of the bike with the wings off.1F1D4EE5-9267-4AB3-BC60-4D0BA78078C6.jpeg