Flybike Wing Structure

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

I didn't really know where to put this; it could just as easily gone in Wooden Construction or Composites.

I was looking at the Beaujon Flybike plans, and they describe the wing construction as "made up of front spar, rear spar, and solid styrofoam. Entire panel is mirror finished with epoxied fabric."

I have my doubts. Has anyone ever built an actual flying aircraft using that construction method?

GeeZee

KR2?
As a young kid those Beaujon plans sure did stoke my desire to fly some kind of minimalist aircraft. I still want something similar but now that I’m older I also think about things like rollover protection and crash structure around the pilot. There must be a reason we don’t see squadrons of Briggs and Stratton powered fly bikes.

I suppose the KR2 wing is kind of like it, but I'm thinking especially of the epoxy-impregnated fabric as opposed to proper fiberglass. And it's been a bit, but doesn't the KR2 have a hollow, built-up foam core with compression members between the spars?

GeeZee

Don’t know, was hoping someone with actual KR wing construction knowledge would comment. The Beaujon designs have been discussed here before. Search might turn up some answers to your questions.

TFF

First off, you have to put these designs in historical context. Before the Rutan revolution, no materials were considered standard. In 1970, they would use any fabric that they thought would work. Cotton, Dacron were much easier to obtain than fiberglass cloth. No one today would use less than fiberglass.

Most people are not going to risk their necks in these old style ULs either. They are fragile.

Essentially the first plane built by Peter Stripol uses this style of building. He lightened his up but same general idea.

Bill-Higdon

I suppose the KR2 wing is kind of like it, but I'm thinking especially of the epoxy-impregnated fabric as opposed to proper fiberglass. And it's been a bit, but doesn't the KR2 have a hollow, built-up foam core with compression members between the spars?
My planes don't show any compression members just 2 1/8" plywood ribs at each end