• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Fly_Boy_BC "Gary B" Fisher Super Koala Agassiz (Chilliwack) British Columbia Canada

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fly_boy_bc

After almost 40 years of study,planning,wishing and dreaming I am FINALLY the proud owner of a very low time Fisher Super Koala! The engine has been replaced and this configuration has never left the ground so I have a lot of work to do considering that this is a "finished" aircraft. Naturally I need to go over the entire plane and get to know it as well as I would if I had built it myownself.

I decided to start this thread to chronicle the refurbishment of this fantastic 2-seat Cub replica. This bird was removed from service after only eight hours of flight-time. This SK was originally on floats but the builder (who used to build for Murphy Air craft) also built upgraded landing gear for this bird because of the poor reputation of the SK's original gear.

Original engine was a 503 but this was removed along with the floats by the second owner who accomplished nothing else. The third owner (who I bough her from) has partially installed a 532 and the Murphy style landing gear as well as repairing some hangar rash on one wing and doing some rib-stitching which was neglected by the builder (and by Fisher and the instructions). The plane is in generally good shape and just needs:
1...to be paid for.
2...to have a hangar built for it.
3...to be transported 300 miles to my home.
4...to have the rib stitching and repainting completed.
5...engine intallation completed.
6...instruments,windshield and gas tank re-installed.
7...cowl either replaced or rebuilt since the 503 required holes in the cowl to allow the cylinders to be out in the airstream.
8...brakes installed.
9...minor finishing and major inspection.

I will describe the history/current condition of the plane. Describe the transporting of it. Detail the construction of my "Hillbilly Hangar" (car tent shelter thingy) and the refurbishment/engine install, W&B, as well as any/all legal/insurance/licensing issues that crop-up along the way. The plan is to do ALL of the work MYSELF and AT HOME. I may move the plane to an airport nearby if hangaring isn't too expensive but I may just haul it on a trailer since I will have appopriate hangar space at home anyway.

I have certainly saved CONSIDERABLE time,money and effort by buying sombody elses project but I still have a LOT of work ahead of me and a lot to learn before I slip these surly bonds.

Wish me luck and even if I don't ask a question PLEASE feel free to contact me if you see a mistake or omission in my planning,thinking or execution! She doesn't need much but what she does need should be done RIGHT!

All about the history and current condition of this Super Koala in my next post.

Last edited:
Back