• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Fly with expired transponder to get it certified

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Built2Fly

My transponder expired a month ago. There is no shop at where my aircraft is currently kept, so I need to fly to an airport 20 minutes away to a shop. What procedure should I follow?
  1. Call ATC when airborne to request a deviation? Or do I need to file some application with FAA/FSDO beforehand?
  2. Which ATC to call? I am at a private uncontrolled airfield now, but I am under Mode C veil. The airport I am flying into is Class D and has an ATC. Shall I call them?
  3. Shall I keep the transponder on during the flight? Or shall I keep it off? For that matter, if I simply flew the short flight with it on and said nothing, how would anyone find out that it is expired?
Can't find much info about through online searches, and have to ask for help here. Thanks a lot.

Back