Fly Henry engine monitors?

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by cluttonfred, Oct 6, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 6, 2016 #1

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Does anyone have any experience with the Fly Henry engine monitors from the Czech Republic? The little PPG Meter (tach/fuel level/CHT/EGT) looks good for little two-stroke-powered plane like a MiniMax and the larger Fly Meter (tach/fuel level/fuel flow/oil press/oil temp/4 CHT or EGT/volts) looks interesting for something with a VW or other small four-stroke. With a base price of about $200 and $300 respectively (plus senders) they seem pretty reasonable. See http://www.flyhenry.cz/ or http://flyhenry.us/ or other sites.

PPG_display_1.jpg IMG_0233.jpg

2. Oct 6, 2016 #2

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Wow... looks very interesting for a weight-conscious installation. Are the senders expensive?

3. Oct 7, 2016 #3

deskpilot

deskpilot

deskpilot

Morphett Vale, South Australia. Just south of Adel
    VB, read the first post again.It tells you the cost of the senders, at least, that how I read it.

4. Oct 7, 2016 #4

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

No, by "plus senders" I meant that the senders are not included at that price. Sender prices seemed pretty reasonable on the USA site. I am curious to see the display with all the values active or even a video in flight so I wrote the U.S. distributor and asked for those.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  5. Oct 12, 2016 #5

jeff naul

jeff naul

jeff naul

The 4 Temps will use type K thermocouple wire. The oil temp should be an automotive one wire temp sender. The oil psi I also think will be a one wire sender. All cheap and locally accessible. Amazon has type K thermocouple wire. I'm flying a Subaru and use thermocouples and a digital temp meter that I bought from amazon for 33.00. 6.00 for the thermocouples. I can watch 2 egt, water and oil temp. I'm wanting this unit too! I read the instructions and can't see anywhere to change the oil psi from bars to psi. Surely it's just an oversight in the manual. I won't be able to use their fuel sender so im researching an alternative tonight. Jeff

6. Oct 12, 2016 #6

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Thanks, Jeff, that's helpful. I also checked the manual and from the menu chart at the back it does not seem possible to change the units from bar to psi, annoying if you are using Fahrenheit, etc. elsewhere but not a big deal. Have you been able to get in touch with anyone at Fly Henry? I tried the contacts from www.flyhenry.cz, www.flyhenry.us and www.ppgmeter.com and got no responses at all.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  7. Oct 13, 2016 #7

deskpilot

deskpilot

deskpilot

Morphett Vale, South Australia. Just south of Adel
    thanks for the clarification Matt/Fred whatever ;-)

8. Oct 20, 2016 #8

jeff naul

jeff naul

jeff naul

Well I went ahead and bit and ordered it. Paid through PayPal in case there is a problem they can always take their money back. Jeff