Float/ski combination

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

S

Skysurfer

My wife just asked me if you can have a seaplane (floats or amphibian) with skis. You can, of course, take floats off and attach skis but can you have both all the time (- and wheels too)? Technically I'm sure it's possible but I can't think of any actual planes with such a combination. Does anyone know of any - or can offer reasons why it's not possible?

Vipor_GG

I've learned over the years that with enough time, money, and effort it is surprising what is possible, but practical is another story. Having all three all the time would probably be rather heavy.

Tiger Tim

By the time there's enough snow on the ground for skis, is there enough open water for floats?

-Tim

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
Shown here is a VJ-22 on skis, but I think if you were motivated enough in the initial build you could redesign the gear to take skis with wheels, Might be a bit of a challenge but is probably doable, and the weight penalty will be the least. Don't think it is practical for amphib floats. They are too heavy to start with....

Himat

No new idea. This site internet site show one concept: Gevers Aircraft - Genesis Triphibian
And have not changed much the last ten years.

Another built and flown, the 5-A Finnmark:
Finnmark5Afront-1.jpg

A more elegant solution would maybe be a boat hulled amphibian with a fixed or retractable central ski for both water and snow operation.

Last edited:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
People with Full Lotus (fabric) floats often use them to land on snow...

Dana

They say that politics makes strange bedfellows. Of course, the main reason they cuddle up is to screw somebody else.