• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Float penality on cruise speed for CH750

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llavalle

Hello,

First post here. I've searched a lot but cannot find the info I'm looking for. I'm currently building a Vans RV9 but for some personal reasons, I won't be able to finish it. I'm thinking of switching to a CH750 for a more "low and slow" approach on airplane. I have a cabin that is about 150 miles from home so I'm interested in building a float plane.

==> Anyone has an idea of what sort of cruise speed I could get on a CH750 with a pair of Zenair amphibious floats (1450) ? From my experience, fuel consumption is almost equal with more drag if the power setting is the same but the drag will slow you down. I need to be able to get there and get back home safely and I cannot add fuel while I'm there!

I'm open to various engine configuration (Jabiru 3300, Rotax 912, ULPower) but I'd rather avoid the heavier Continental/Lycomings.

From what I can read, a CH750 will cruise to close to 100mph with the correct engine (ULPower 130hp). The rule of thumb is usually 20% drop in cruise with float.. but that's usually on a plane that goes faster. In that case, I imagine the effect is less... but any one here has a 701 or 750 on zenair floats and can give me numbers?

Thanks!

Back