Flitzer Z-2 Schwalbe (Swallow) has flown!

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

flitzerpilot

Yes, Bill, 1926 is alive and well and living in South Wales! :0)

Actually the access to the front cockpit is far better than the almost impossible access for taller passengers entering a Piet front cockpit. I took this on board when designing the Z-2, whose fuselage is only some 16' in length. PAX sits on the CG and the combined door and front hatch has considerable depth, the fuselage being reinforced by a substantial false longeron which runs from firewall to aft of the rear cockpit. The fuselage is also clad internally at key points with a plywood skins and reinforcing members and the cabane and top wing play a part in overall stiffening. Additionally, the cabane struts are splayed outwards to provide better cockpit ingress and useful handgrips as well as allowing all four wing panels to be the same span, the integral (with fuselage) lower wing centre-section acting as a wing walk.

Rate of climb has not been measured, but the test pilot mentioned 'homesick angels'. The only issues so far is oil temperature, flow which cooling flow to the ventral tank will be provided, and an undersized elevator trim tab- already sorted.

Further testing is postponed as Simon is moving house and Dan is busy for the present.

scramjetter

Absolutely beautiful, well done, and congratulations to all involved! I can't wait until someone completes a Z-3!

Dominic Eller

Supporting Member
Congratulations! What a beautiful bipe.
Please keep updating on the testing and performance figures.
I’m very interested to hear how the Verner performs.