Flip top work bench interesting work bench idea

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Yellowhammer

Supporting Member
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
Oh yeah. I remember the ads.
Saville,

I acquired one about four months ago. It was in good working condition but had been neglected for many years. Has/had a lot of rust and just needed to be refurbished. I have been breaking it down section by section and sand blasting and repainting each part. Time consuming for sure but is looking great. I am completely convinced that to restore metal parts that a sand blaster is the only way to proceed. Especially if you are trying to achieve that factory new finish and look as I am.

The model I have has the following attachments: Belt and disk sander, good sized band saw, lathe (wood), Drill Press, Boring machine, jig saw, rip saw, router, and joiner-planner. Shopsmith sells add on attachments as well.

From the research I have conducted I have heard others say that it doesn't do any one task extremely well but does all task pretty good. I just like the fact that it doesn't take up very much space and is on wheels that can be retracted for a solid base.

In the gallery section on their website it has pictures of an airplane made from wood with a Shopsmith.

The machine didn't cost me a dime. A good friend donated it to my cause. Which was nice.

The picture below shows a later model with digital control of which my model does not have. I can add it down the road If I choose to.

-Yellowhammer

Attachments

• ShopsmithV,Model520.jpg
    ShopsmithV,Model520.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 0

TFF

I had a math teacher in high school who had three fingers removed with one. They were able to reattach one. Went into the house, his wife and daughter fainted, so he had to drive himself to the emergency room.

Saville

Saville,

I acquired one about four months ago. It was in good working condition but had been neglected for many years. Has/had a lot of rust and just needed to be refurbished. I have been breaking it down section by section and sand blasting and repainting each part. Time consuming for sure but is looking great. I am completely convinced that to restore metal parts that a sand blaster is the only way to proceed. Especially if you are trying to achieve that factory new finish and look as I am.

The model I have has the following attachments: Belt and disk sander, good sized band saw, lathe (wood), Drill Press, Boring machine, jig saw, rip saw, router, and joiner-planner. Shopsmith sells add on attachments as well.

From the research I have conducted I have heard others say that it doesn't do any one task extremely well but does all task pretty good. I just like the fact that it doesn't take up very much space and is on wheels that can be retracted for a solid base.

In the gallery section on their website it has pictures of an airplane made from wood with a Shopsmith.

The machine didn't cost me a dime. A good friend donated it to my cause. Which was nice.

The picture below shows a later model with digital control of which my model does not have. I can add it down the road If I choose to.

-Yellowhammer
The restoration effort you are putting into that will pay off - it'll look great and last a long time.

And yeah the price was right, for sure.

Let me know what you think of it after using the various tools a few hundred hours.

Congrats!

I couldn't take on even if for free - my shop is way too small.

Yellowhammer

Supporting Member
The restoration effort you are putting into that will pay off - it'll look great and last a long time.

And yeah the price was right, for sure.

Let me know what you think of it after using the various tools a few hundred hours.

Congrats!

I couldn't take on even if for free - my shop is way too small.

Saville,

Thank And I will definitely ;et you see the final result.

Cheers

Yellowhammer

Supporting Member
I had a math teacher in high school who had three fingers removed with one. They were able to reattach one. Went into the house, his wife and daughter fainted, so he had to drive himself to the emergency room.

TFF,
Hate to hear that about your Math teacher. One thing an old master woodworker told me long ago was that eventually everybody slips up. Some just have worse results than others. He had one finger missing. Several woodworkers I know including my brother have lost a finger. In my brother's case the last 1/3rd of his right index finger.

I had my scare four years ago while ripping wood stock. The sad part is that I thought I was being careful and very conscious of what I was doing. I was in the military at the time and knew that if I got injured there would be problem. Long story short, the blade got my thumb down towards the end and bit into my nail.

Hurt like the dickens and the Dr. in the E.R. told me he couldn't even stitch it up due to the way I cut it open. I was fine with that as I was not too keen on having that stitch run through my thumb. You would have thought I had lost a limb the way I was acting. LOL It hurt! All the nerves were in full rebellion on me.

-Yellowhammer

TFF

All our “toys” are cool. We just like the ones that don’t pass the child safety rules. Another friend sawed his hand but was lucky. Healed normal, worked normal except feeling. He had no touch feeling. I’m doing a lot right now with all my tools, with ladders too. I’m constantly saying don’t mess this up in my head.

BJC

Supporting Member
I’m doing a lot right now with all my tools, with ladders too.
Be careful. Two friends here, both older than you, were seriously injured by having a miss-step from the second-to-bottom step on step ladders. Two broken wrists and back injuries for one, back injuries, arm injury and chest trauma for the other. In a rush, and got careless.

BJC