• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Flight school/club using Experimental aircraft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I discovered this weekend that it looks like the only local flight school will soon be closing. Lots of back story to this that isn't relevant but the final straw seems to be that the 2 leased 172's are getting repossessed and the one owned 172 is "tired". The FBO seems to be uninterested in reacquiring this service - airport politics.

Maybe I should have spent some more time doing research and thinking this through before asking here but I'm looking for opinions, or even real world examples, of what might work. I know we would need at least one 172 (or equivalent) to give introductory rides and the first few lessons. After that the students would become members of the flying club making instruction in Experimentals legal.

What we have to work with:
Large airport with 2 10K foot runways at 5300 feet altitude. Density altitude during the summer often gets to 10K thus the 172's for training. Hangar rent is reasonable but nearly full. Crowd storage is plentiful. The owls tend to keep the pigeon population under control. :gig: Tie downs are plentiful and free.
Public access through the FBO is reasonable but not very customer friendly. (There is a second dirt strip nearby but it would require significant development to make it customer friendly)
Rented space for classroom should not be a problem.
Auto fuel is not available on the field but could be could be hauled in via truck or the planes could be fueled at the dirt strip.
Wind/weather here limits instruction to around 250/275 days a year. The rest of the year tends to be less than perfect.
The local college has an aviation program that uses the private flying school for both flight instruction and ground school instructors. It normally generates 6 to a dozen students each semester.
Finding instructors is not problem. Tail wheel too.
Maintenance for a certified 172 is not a problem.
Finding an A+P for the Experimentals is also not a problem. Properly equipped hangar space for the A+P to work in may be.

=================

Given all of this what 3 to 5 Experimantal aircraft would make a good fleet for instruction and club rental?

It's way too early to develop a business plan but these are my initial thoughts:

1) 172 with basic IFR - for certified needs and limited 4 seat use.
2) RV 9A VFR only with small engine? for the bulk of the training.
3) RV-6 or RV-8 VFR only with small engine for tail wheel transition.
4) RV-3 RV-3B VFR with small engine for cheap flying/time building. Is there such a thing as an RV-3A?
5) Tailwind - have one available.
6) Aeronca 11AC - have one available.

Then add whatever the club members want - and will fly.

I'm not married to RV's but whatever is chosen shouldn't be something that takes months to find a suitable example.

Back