Flight Plan Requirements

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

proppastie

Log Member
What are the requirements for a Flight Plan or contact with air traffic control in the country you live?....Here in the USA there is no requirement for a flight plan for VFR. (Visual Flight Rules) If you live outside controlled airspace one does not even need a radio. Basically can you get in, turn the key, and go,.....not telling anyone, not asking permission, etc.

Aerowerx

You don't need to file a flight plan here in the USA, but there is something about needing "all relevant information for a flight".

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
What are the requirements for a Flight Plan or contact with air traffic control in the country you live?....Here in the USA there is no requirement for a flight plan for VFR. (Visual Flight Rules) If you live outside controlled airspace one does not even need a radio. Basically can you get in, turn the key, and go,.....not telling anyone, not asking permission, etc.
Controlled airspace includes Class E airspace. No radio is required for VFR flight in Class E airspace in the USA.

Flight plan requirements depend on the regulations applicable for the particular flight. The general answer given here is for flights conducted in the USA under part 91 of the FARs. Flights cunducted under parts 135 or 121 have additional requirements. Generally flights under Part 121 are required to file an IFR flight plan and maintain company communications. Part 135 flight need not file IFR but do need to maintain company communications.

I believe in New Zealand a flight plan is required to depart the airport traffic pattern VFR. That was my knowledge from flight there 30 years ago.

With reference to post #2 USA Federal regulations CFR 14 read:

§91.103 Preflight action.
Each pilot in command shall, before beginning a flight, become familiar with all available information concerning that flight. This information must include—

(a) For a flight under IFR or a flight not in the vicinity of an airport, weather reports and forecasts, fuel requirements, alternatives available if the planned flight cannot be completed, and any known traffic delays of which the pilot in command has been advised by ATC;

(b) For any flight, runway lengths at airports of intended use, and the following takeoff and landing distance information:

(1) For civil aircraft for which an approved Airplane or Rotorcraft Flight Manual containing takeoff and landing distance data is required, the takeoff and landing distance data contained therein; and

(2) For civil aircraft other than those specified in paragraph (b)(1) of this section, other reliable information appropriate to the aircraft, relating to aircraft performance under expected values of airport elevation and runway slope, aircraft gross weight, and wind and temperature.

Last edited:

TFF

Many countries don’t have VFR rules. No true civil aviation. I don’t remember the country but third world, but factory mechanic was doing warranty work on a fleet of helicopters. To track a helicopter you have to fly it multiple times and make adjustments. Flight plans took two days to be processed. He needed to do 5-10 2 minute flights with work between. The rep did not care but he wanted to go home. He had two factions of the government fighting over rules with him in the middle. Finally he was allowed to fly 20 feet above the runway as needed. Any higher and they would shoot him down.

proppastie

Log Member
but third world
Friend was flying somewhere in Africa....said there was maybe 200 airplanes in the whole country and they had ADSB but still required position reports. They also would complain if he was off altitude more than 100 ft.

proppastie

Log Member
Wish I knew someone who works with large birds that we could fit with ADSB out and instrument a large flock to fly around the Washington DC area.
off topic, but where I am everybody loves to be playing/looking at the "fish finder",.... really a big distraction because it is hard to see anyone out the window unless they are less than a mile. But now when you are in haze or clouds it is handy. I would much rather have it than endless reporting,,,,,take a look at an IFR chart sometime to see all the "report points".

cblink.007

Spent 3 years in Germany. Recently. Flight plan required for all flights! User fees existed also!

TFF

We had a German customer come get some type flight training. He held both US and German licenses. Because of reciprocal agreements, N numbered aircraft get to fly very much like they are still in the US. He would do something on purpose that would flag the German controllers. They would say something, and he would tell him. I Am flying N numbered airplane and I don’t have too. They new it.

hugomeiland

Log Member
In the Netherlands: no flight plan for regular VFR flights from uncontrolled airports; however, flight plans are required for flights to/from controlled airports or when crossing FIR bounderies... that being set: submitting a flight plan is easy and the support from ATC's is awesome!

Latest posts