Flight Helmets?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Doran Jaffas

I only wore one. Yes I got jammed. other people have wished they could shoot me and stick me with something else but so far I've avoided that. The truck took the bullets instead of me. the tree took the bullets instead of my head. I was lucky on both counts I guess. no, not in the military. These were civilian shots.

Last edited by a moderator:

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
That was also when cars were made of such steel that were you to have an accident in one of those now you would probably go right through a modern vehicle and barely dent defender in your vehicle.
Common misconception, totally wrong. Heavy, yes, but crumples right through the passenger compartment while the modern vehicle squishes in all the parts that don't have things that bleed inside.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
I only wore one. Yes I got jammed. other people have wished they could shoot me and stick me with something else but so far I've avoided that. The truck took the bullets instead of me. the tree took the bullets instead of my head. I was lucky on both counts I guess. no, not in the military. These were civilian shots...
So I'm thinking mafia, or a very nasty divorce?

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Common misconception, totally wrong. Heavy, yes, but crumples right through the passenger compartment while the modern vehicle squishes in all the parts that don't have things that bleed inside.
Very accurate.
Crash test: 1959 Chevy Bel Air vs 2009 Chevy Malibu.
(Old car fans will shed a tear to see that car wasted. Note fuzzy dice).

Last edited:

Twodeaddogs

HBA Supporter
Off topic but helmets related...I went to a 200 km bike trip and I have never before witnessed a collision in a group before..two guys fell into march ditch which was very deep ( 3 m ) head first with their bikes...and both heard the helmet brake from the impact. Both were able to carry on...they were exhausted as the trip had been 150 km so far...and the other collided the rear wheel of the other. I bet you have to buy a new helmet after it had been used...so to say.
I was on a mountain bike trail and had to stop suddenly. I ever so slowly rotated over the handlebars, hands firmly on the handlebars and inexorably ended up right on the top centre of my helmet. 220 lbs came to a slow stop and my helmet, which was a decent enough brand, cracked exactly down the centreline. I finished the course and examined the helmet. It was obvious that it was junked but I hadn't a scratch so into the bin it went, with a silent thank you.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I was in a head on with my 1978 Dodge with a 318ci V-8 one time. Drove the engine and transmission back about 8". Another car drove across my lane directly in front of me. Don't remember it . Driving home from the airport after a 7 hr flight. Had my seat belt and shoulder harness on but the steering wheel still came back and hit my chest. I still have some of the results.
All the helmets and harness can just protect you so much, but would hate to not have them when they do.

Saville

I have a parachute, helmet, goggles, Nomex flight suit (orange), Nomex socks, O2 mask and Tig welder's gloves.

I don't usually don't wear any of that when flying my RV-8, except the parachute and the helmet, with a boom mike, which I will wear when flying acro. I will wear the chute on cross countries - I can't think of a reason not to. However, late last year I:

1) Replaced the left fuel tank
2) Installed new fuel lines
3) Replaced the fuel selector.
4) New prop
5) Overhauled prop governor.

The tank was made by an experienced builder. But the new fuel lines and the new fuel selector (and it's mounting scheme) was done by me. And I'm not an experienced builder. I had all my work checked by 2 A&P's.

So on the first 12 or so hours of test flying I wore the chute, all the Nomex, the helmet, goggles, mask and gloves. Fire was my concern given fuel system related mods, not to mention the oil line for the prop governor. So I stacked as much in my favor as I could. First flight was circling directly over the airport for several tests.

Maybe someone thinks that wearing all that stuff is silly. I don't care.

Aesquire

I'm waiting on my morning coffee before going on a 200+ mile motorcycle ride. I'd wear my helmet even if there was no law requiring one. My body, my choice.

And... I forgot to put water in coffee maker. Obviously I need coffee. Way to prove how infallible I am! waiting...

2 anecdotes from Car Nuts videos.

Top Gear host was doing abrupt drifting moves, alone on a track in Japan in hot car. "Threw out neck", taken away in ambulance. No helmet, just age, lack of muscle, and a street legal car driven like a loon. A helmet with head restraint straps might have helped, but would have required changing the seat & installing a roll cage for harness mounts, not practical in a car loaned you by the manufacturer for your show.

YouTube show "Tuned" where experienced racer drives hopped up cars with lovely video praising & criticizing the vehicles. ( my favorite is the Bisimoto Porche widebody, "this car has a seriously flawed chassis design and wants to kill you, stock. Making 4 times the power just makes that worse." & then a 1000 hp turbocharged Honda minivan. ( de tuned to 750 hp ) "Perfect". )

The "star" owned a Shelby Cobra. And sold it after he concussed himself on the roll bar. A car that really needs a helmet to drive "safely" as stomping the gas pedal can slam your head into a chromoly arch. Much like many of our cockpits.

I don't think we need to get into the drag boat safety gear, like automatic life jackets, ( a must for ultralight flying near water, especially paramotor foot drags on ponds ) or Kevlar shorts to keep the water from exploding your intestines when ejected from the boat @ 130 knots & skipping off the water on your butt.

Last edited:

Riggerrob

Dear Saville,
Sounds like we need a magazine article entitled "How long are you going to need that parachute?" Parachutes are most valuable during early test flights, when you worry about fires, structural failure, loss of control, etc. As the airplane proves safer, the fewer "safety" gadgets you need.

djmcfall

For my light sport trike (N408WA) I have a Comtronics intercom/radio interface, and use to have two Comtronics helmets which were not bad. I later sold those helmets and bought two Flycom helmets from a buddy. They are fantastic summer and winter. Foam under chin shield keeps the noise out and your face warm in the winter, and the communications (phones & mic) are excellent.

Saville

Dear Saville,
Sounds like we need a magazine article entitled "How long are you going to need that parachute?" Parachutes are most valuable during early test flights, when you worry about fires, structural failure, loss of control, etc. As the airplane proves safer, the fewer "safety" gadgets you need.

Well....parachutes are quite valuable/necessary when flying acro - which I do a lot.

Also, I fly to Syracuse NY a lot and believe it or not most of Western Massachusetts is wooded. Chute might come in handy there unless I want to risk a landing in the forests.

The orange flight suit is helpful there as well as you can be seen more easily -

especially useful during deer hunting season.

Though any blaze orange clothing is helpful - doesn't have to be Nomex.

But I love all the pockets.

I think there's plenty of times a chute is helpful and I cannot imagine a scenario in which wearing it is harmful.

Appowner

Helmets, harnesses etc are nothing more than tools. And like all tools they can be quite handy when used properly. And quite destructive when used improperly. And sometimes they are forced to exceed design parameters and may or may not prove handy.

It is possible that one may never need any of these tools. But when you need them is usually beyond the time for putting them on.

I can't fly anymore even as a passenger so I get my thrills on my Harley. Do I wear a helmet? Most the time but every now and then I like to go neked so to speak. Just the same I've had two accidents where the helmet was never touched. My shins on the other hand.........

But the thing I object to is being told I have to wear one. Especially when it's been proven a lot more lives could be saved if they were required in cars as well.

Aesquire

But the thing I object to is being told I have to wear one. Especially when it's been proven a lot more lives could be saved if they were required in cars as well.
Oh, I'm all in agreement on that. One of the big jokes from the 1980s was the PA ( iirc ) State police getting permission to not wear their Smokey The Bear hats in cars because of neck strain. ABATE and other rider organizations had a ball with that one. I often vocally agree with those who don't like being told they have to wear a helmet. And always add that we need willing organ donors. So if you want to ride without, please sign your permission slip.

My Mother has commented that she didn't raise me to do all these things that require a helmet. ( or eat spicy food, she's Norse, but I discovered Buffalo Wings in college )

Flying a hang glider in heavy turbulence, or just tripping on landing, and your head may hit nice soft 6061T6 aluminum, or, a bolt head, like killed Otto Lillienthal. Motorcycles ride in a world of hard objects. And then there's the martial arts, where protective gear is very dependent on the rules, and the degree of full contact. The SCA tries to mitigate the danger by using rattan weapons, which won't slice you in half, just leave bruises. They also discourage ( please don't and it won't count ) injuries by limiting allowed strike zones. Don't hit knees and below and hands, and a "win" is a solid strike to torso or head. The minimum armor requirements are too long to bore you with, but Steel helmets are a rare case where mass is your friend. You are seldom moving very fast, so acceleration strain on the neck from a sudden stop isn't a big concern, but reducing acceleration from a blow, is.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I put on my helmet every morning before I get out of bed (yes, I live dangerously and sleep without it). The thought of slipping in the shower after I get up--and the financial burden this would impose on my fellow taxpayers--is too much for me to bear.

In reality, though, I wear one 99.98% of the time when I ride, but I don't feel the need for extra measures like a helmet or airframe parachute when flying. Life is about acknowledging/understanding risk and then mitigating/managing it to the degree YOU see fit (not to the degree Svend's wife sees fit).