Quantcast

Flight Control "Harmony"

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Lendo

I would second that response on the RV 4. I haven't flown any long distance in one, some say It's not a long distance plane, but I like the handling. For me 'Hands Free; is important.
George

flitzerpilot

Experienced pilots and several test pilots who have flown the Flitzer biplane series (including Bob Grimstead) consider its control harmonisation ideal. The feedback in 'poundels' is 1:2:3 in terms of aileron: elevator and rudder though I was aiming for 1:2:4 which may be regarded as standard. The choice of the USA 35B airfoil, moderately high stagger and a mobile CP of 30~45% MAC provides hands-off stability at Vc for relaxed x-country flying, but positive pitch input results in forward CP migration, transforming its personality to that of an agile machine for 'recreational air combat'. With no active trim hands-free cruise can be maintained by slight adjustment of rpm against fuel burn, while full + and - pitch excursions at Vc result in return to level flight hands-off with no oscillation, i.e. fully damped in pitch.

With a VNE of 120 mph, and no sign of flutter onset (buzz) at demonstrated terminal velocity, the Flitzers are not high speed racing types where over-sensitivity in control might have fatal consequences, especially at low level.

However, drawings for the fully aerobatic Z-1R and S include mass and aerodynamically-balanced controls, combined mass-balanced spades, and those drawings include methods of 'heavying-up' flight controls should they have proven too sensitive (on the prototypes). These included thickening the trailing edges which simply involves fixed aluminium tabs, fitted (on the ailerons) both above and below the trailing edges.

Flight testing would determine by how much the tabs were to be deflected to achieve the required stick load. When satisfied, a balsa wedge would be glued into the angle between the tabs as a permanent fix. This did not prove necessary in practice, but is a simple solution to an existing type where ailerons are perceived to be too light.

Turd Ferguson

I suppose it could be. Since I witnessed him qualifying and competing at Reno, in the Sport class, I tend to think he has at least some level of formation flying proficiency. You have to demonstrate that before they'll even let you participate in the rookie school.
They also have to demonstrate some basic aerobatic maneuvers but they don't have to be precise.