Quantcast

Flea style "Piojo Flying MiniBike"

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Sockmonkey

Except the ailerons are backasswards and it has virtually no pitch control.
They're actually not. Having the places where they attach to the wing spaced wider than where they attach to the stick makes them push in the direction the stick is moved. Though, yes they should be connected higher on the stick.

FritzW

Log Member
Having the places where they attach to the wing spaced wider than where they attach to the stick makes them push in the direction the stick is moved.
Huh??? The way you've drawn it: if you push the stick to the right it pulls down on the right wing and the airplane rolls to the left. ...it doesn't matter how far out they're attached.

Sockmonkey

Huh??? The way you've drawn it: if you push the stick to the right it pulls down on the right wing and the airplane rolls to the left. ...it doesn't matter how far out they're attached.
Like I said, I accidentally had them connected to the stick too low.
Having the connections near the top of it would make the rod push on the right wing when the stick is moved right.
Here we go. Now it's corrected.

TFF

Back to the flippers. Full span ailerons might not be needed, just partial span. Roll with some pitch keeping the nose up in the turn would make the perfect turn. The question is are we trying to take the flea out of the flea?

Aerowerx

Like I said, I accidentally had them connected to the stick too low.
Having the connections near the top of it would make the rod push on the right wing when the stick is moved right.
Here we go. Now it's corrected.
What type of joints are those where the pushrod attaches to the stick?

Seems to me that what ever type of joint, as you move the stick to the right the pushrod will pull down on the wing trailing edge, which is the wrong way.

Or is the pushrod attached to the wing ahead of the pivot axis? In which case you should have shown that clearly with a 2 view drawing!

Sockmonkey

What type of joints are those where the pushrod attaches to the stick?

Seems to me that what ever type of joint, as you move the stick to the right the pushrod will pull down on the wing trailing edge, which is the wrong way.

Or is the pushrod attached to the wing ahead of the pivot axis? In which case you should have shown that clearly with a 2 view drawing!
Ok, here we go. Got the positioning right this time.

Ball joints would have the fewest moving bits I think.

Battler Britton

why not just do what is already flying? just have to mouv up and down the all thing

And the profile is the same than all last Poux...( in french...1 pou.....2 poux!)
NACA 23112 good for differential wings.

apev_cubchel1.jpg

Last edited:

erkki67

And what about the following solution, the whole front wing as it is on the Flea, but using the whole rear wing as an aileron!

Advantage: no complicated mixer required and still a 3-axis controlled Flea .

Victor Bravo

Why not add Titanium chines, Borane slurry fuel, a ramjet mode for the two engines, and movable inlet cones?

Ailerons on the rear wing will be worthwhile IMHO, all else is way out of what this was intended to do.

Aerowerx

Ok, here we go. Got the positioning right this time.

Ball joints would have the fewest moving bits I think.
Ok, but in order to bank to the right, the right wing trailing edge MUST move upwards and the left MUST move downwards. This causes more lift on the left and less on the right wing half. This is the same as using typical ailerons, and REQUIRES A CROSS OVER of some kind of the pushrods.

The way you have it drawn, if you move the stick to the right, the right wing trailing edge will move DOWN, not up!

What you have drawn will cause great discomfort for any pilot trained in the last 100 years!

Sockmonkey

And what about the following solution, the whole front wing as it is on the Flea, but using the whole rear wing as an aileron!

Advantage: no complicated mixer required and still a 3-axis controlled Flea .
Because the fore wing mixer isn't complicated? It's two rods coming off the stick with ball joints on the ends.
Ok, but in order to bank to the right, the right wing trailing edge MUST move upwards and the left MUST move downwards. This causes more lift on the left and less on the right wing half.

The way you have it drawn, if you move the stick to the right, the right wing trailing edge will move DOWN, not up! This is the same as using typical ailerons, and REQUIRES A CROSS OVER of some kind of the pushrods.

What you have drawn will cause great discomfort for any pilot trained in the last 100 years!
No, now that I have the rods positioned right, pushing the stick to the right will deflect the trailing edge of the right wing upwards.

poormansairforce

Ok, but in order to bank to the right, the right wing trailing edge MUST move upwards and the left MUST move downwards. This causes more lift on the left and less on the right wing half. This is the same as using typical ailerons, and REQUIRES A CROSS OVER of some kind of the pushrods.

The way you have it drawn, if you move the stick to the right, the right wing trailing edge will move DOWN, not up!

Go back and look at it again, he fixed it. Pay attention to the pivot point of the stick. Doesn't mean the angles are correct yet for the movement needed but its a start....

However, I question the forces involved?

Aerowerx

Go back and look at it again, he fixed it. Pay attention to the pivot point of the stick. Doesn't mean the angles are correct yet for the movement needed but its a start....

However, I question the forces involved?
I guess the round knobby things are the pivot points? And the thing at the top of the stick is the grip?

And I don't see where it is any different than it was 8 hours ago when I first looked at it.

Note that in the post by Battler Briton the push rods are attached AHEAD of the wing pivot, which gives the correct action.

erkki67

Aerowerx is right, for the corresponding wing which goes down the ailerons must go up to push the wing down, so we pull the whole wing half down.

So the pushrods needs to be crossed at the stick.