Quantcast

Flea style "Piojo Flying MiniBike"

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Victor Bravo

My vote is that the Piojo, if and when it becomes a real project, is absolutely the right candidate for tab and slot construction (if it has to be built in wood). And no round, laminated, or complicated "fiddly bits" should be necessary whatsoever. If a builder wants to add rounded laminated tip bows, and a leather stitched interior, then he or she can do that, but it's totally optional. A Piojo airframe should be able to be put together in a month or so using T-88 glue, and using Oratex the covering would take about a weekend. Another month MAX of engine mounting, misc. systems and control runs, fuel tank,etc. and you should be able to start taxi testing.

FritzW

Log Member
I'm still confused by the flea wing vs. free wing. So a free wing doesn't have, or need, any control? It's just free to pivot and find it's own "happy place" AoA? And the split Spraat wing is a free wing that's split on the center line and has independent pitch controls?

If you can control a free wing why don't they use them on fleas so you don't have to hold back pressure on the stick all the time?

erkki67

I can’t follow you, I’ve been flying with a Balerit, the HM1000, hands off.

Power on and up it goes, power down and down it goes, with the wheel or stick you only ctl the speed.

Tiger Tim

I saw it on a youtube video so it has to be true.
I guess logically it makes sense that on early fleas you must have had to hold a little back pressure at all times. Henri just had a single cable on the HM.14 controlling incidence and something had to have held it taut (there was no return cable, no spring, and no counterweight). At some point the plans changed this cable to a rod and all fleas thereafter used rods which makes it harder to tell when, if at all, this need for constant back pressure went away.

FritzW

Log Member
For some reason back in 2017 (on this thread) I knew that all fleas except the HM-1100 needed back pressure on the stick all the time. (it's a short thread with some good info, it's worth thumbing through)

From post #46 on that thread:
"The HM-1100 is the only "per the plans" flea that I'm aware of, that doesn't need back pressure on the stick. The wing was designed from the beginning to be controlled with tabs and there's no direct control linkage."

erkki67

In fact, the Corduan or HM1100 had a Freewing controlled only by tabs.

The HM1000, the Balerit had pushrods like almost all the fleas before.

The first HM14 had only cables to control the incidence of the fwd wing, this feature and the overlapping caused in flight flip overs, which where not recoverable due to the cable control of the fwd wing.

After the mod with separated wings and a new airfoil and pushrods instead of cables healed the bad habits of the Flea.

Backpressure is only needed to achieve a certain airspeed, with all the fleas, except the HM1100.

So a Piojo with split fwd wings would give it the cross wind capability and most probably, one of the safest little 3-axis flyer.

Sockmonkey

Does it need all three though? Fixed tailfins still leave it with pitch and roll control via the fore wing, which is enough and eliminates the control runs.

FritzW

Log Member
Is the hassle of splitting the wing less than the hassle of putting ailerons on the back wing? Would the split wing be positive control (linkages) or controlled with servo tabs? (maybe Bowden cables).

plncraze

HBA Supporter
The plans for the Spratt Controlwing are free on the internet. There are quite a few parts on it that you really don't want to fail. Even the Fleas have some "Jesus bolts."

Sockmonkey

The wing doesn't have to do three axis.
Pitch and roll is fine.
Look here.

Most fleas have two rods controlling the fore wing so splitting it doesn't mean adding another rod.
The Horten elevon setup would work fine for this.