• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Flat Patterns in Rhino

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monty

I said I would do this a while back and got distracted. Anyway, here is my method for creating surfaces for sheet metal fabrication in Rhino. I don't count on this being accurate enough for matched hole type construction. Therefore, I only lay out the rivet pattern on the outer sheet. It is easy to put a couple holes on the centerline fore and aft to get the parts aligned. Then you can proceed to match drill and cleco all the way along the rivet line.

I'm using a generic tailcone here to get the point across. First you start with a profile view. I am so used to working in 3D that I don't bother with the planform view. I just work out from the side view. Then I used the ellipse command to make the top of the tailcone. Trim to the centerline. Then I used the conic tangent at both ends command to create the bottom curves. Mirror them and join them.
cone1.jpgcone3.jpgcone2.jpg

Now the fun part. Use the sweep two rails command. Select the two half ellipse curves as guide curves. Select the three lines as cross section curves. When the sweep two curves dialog pops up, select the simple sweep box. Repeat for the bottom conic curves. You should get something like this:
cone4.jpgcone5.jpg

Back