• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Fixing spars to ribs in metal planes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StRaNgEdAyS

I had to think for a while to decide where to put this, but since it is more a design question I thought I'd put it here.
I am working on the attachments for the wing spars to their corresponding fuselage ribs. I have drawn the 2mm (0.080") spar web to attach to the rib of the same thickness, via 2x 1mm (0.040") thick joiners riveted to each piece. The diagram shows only the wing side (and some of the main retracts, which I am in the process of at moving)
My questions is, will this be sufficient to support the wing and carry the plane on the main gear?
My reckoning is it will be, but I never discount the value of a second (or third etc.) opinion.
Next thing is to work on supports for the main gearin the wing. I am investigating this possibility to minimise CG shift, make the retracting mechanism easier to manage and give it a more stable base for taxiing.

Attachments

• spar attach rivets.jpg
    spar attach rivets.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 728
Back